An exercise in colouring/masking!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I made this purely to see how to mask for colouring and to try out my new airbrush. I stood it on an Ash base to spray it and then thought "mm I quite like the look of them together" ;) but not sure if the base will stay or I might ebonise it to match??. I make no apologies to the purist`s among us, yes its a piece of mahogany and I wanted to see how darker woods take colour and I have got quite a few pieces of it at the moment and I`m afraid the only rules I work to are there are no rules!! I can see a few uses for the concept such as the edge of a platter or base of a vase but your comments welcome as always.

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Apologies for the dark shots, really must get some proper lighting :)
Cheers
Steve

Overall though I think it looks better without the base.

Very interesting piece. I like it but I can't see where it would fit in my house so it's an interesting one.

It's just spoiled slightly by the right hand yellow not quite being lined up with the rest.

Jensmith":3ldrscwz said:
It's just spoiled slightly by the right hand yellow not quite being lined up with the rest.

Not for me. I think the one bit that doesn't line up adds to the dynamic of the bowl.

Certainly better without the stand.

Thanks Jen and Gordon, no problemo if you like it or not it was never really meant to be a completed piece as such more an experiment for my own benefit in learning how to use my airbrush. It won`t be a piece I would do again but I could see maybe an ash platter benefiting from a bit of masked off colour on the rim?. All part of the fun(?) :)
Cheers
Steve

Very 1920's Art Deco with the geometric colour patches, there were a host of wooden items such as dishes and candle sticks around the family that were painted by my mother in her teens/twenties, apparently plain wood pieces were sold in Woolworths and the like for just such treatment.

I like it as is without stand, perhaps if the stand was Black it would blend better and not be so dominant and draw the eye downwards.
Good clean lines on the colour boundaries, must have had tight masking contact.

Thanks Chas, My grey matter must be taking me backwards I think ;-)
Mahogany not the best choice for colouring but I had a fair bit.
Steve

Back