An Early Xmas present??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Today Xmas came early - I think.

I am almost ready to start preparing to replace our kitchen.

I posted earlier and thanks to your feedback decided to go with melamine board as it will be as cheap as the plywood I was offered, particularly as Pewe has offered to arrange it for me when I contacted him about his response to my post.

After a lengthy discussion with him I think I have decided that the answer for me is to buy the EZ Smart Guide rail system with a router attachment and take him up on an unbelievable offer he made me.

As we do not want to re-model the kitchen, just replace the cabinets etc he has offered to,

- send me a complete set of drawings of the cabinet parts layed out on boards (I just have to send him the size and type of the cabinets I need), because his software is not ready for release yet.
- arrange for the boards to be sent to me at home (once we finally decide on the colour) at a very good price.
- arrange for an EZ guide rail system to be sent to me (at the same prices that it is on their web site + delivery)
- arrange for the new cabinet doors to be sent once we have decided on them (from the range offered by a company called PWS at a price which competes with the cheapest on the internet)
- arrange for a set of instructions for building a cutting table (using the EZ rail system) which will make the cutting and routing of the boards quick, accurate safe and easier than using a table saw (his words not mine)
- supply me with a very accurate tool for drilling dowels for assembly of the cabinets

I also asked him for his views on the Evolution saw, and he said he thought they were a really good buy for the money and that he could also supply that, but said that for the time being I would be cheaper to buy it direct from B&Q while they have a sale on. (But I had already done that), But he is going to send me some pictures of the saw set up on the EZ rails and examples of the quality of cut edges I should expect.

And for all this help he just wants me to give him a review of my project as it progresses so he can use it as a 'testimonial'. He is really confident that the results will be impressive even for a newbie to woodworking like me.

This all sounds like a dream come true, but I have never heard of or met Pewe but he says I am welcome to visit him in the New Year to see the whole set up in his workshop, but he is in Somerset which is a long way for me to travel.

So now some questions.

Has any forum member been to see him? He says a few people have visited him and he says that at least one of them was a forum member.
If so, is the setup as impressive and easy to use as it sounds to me - a mere novice. Has anyone had experience of using his system?
Are there any questions I should ask him that I have not thought of?

Any information would be helpful.

(I'm sure he won't mind or be offended by my asking - at least I hope not)

If you are using PWS doors, which are off the shelf standard sizes, and using MFC for your carcasses, I would just buy the carcasses in (they will almost certainly be cheaper than you'll be able to make them, just on the materials and hardware, never mind the tools). I would save the woodworking for something a bit more interesting where you can actually produce something better than you could buy for the same money. But that's me.

they will almost certainly be cheaper

So where can I buy them cheaper?

For example a 1000mm base cabinet with 18mm back which is dowelled and glued for less than £29 including delivery?

Most I have seen are over £40 + delivery and at that price the difference would pay for all the tooling (21 carcasses to do) and it would be a good project for me to start with.

I do not rely on woodworking for a living, and I can't think of anything else I would want to do for the time being. I have too many things to do on our old house and the kitchen is the first so even of I could buy the carcasses at not much more than it would cost me (excluding my labour) I think I would still want to do it for the experience and satisfaction.

Hi psachs

I went to see pewe last week and from what I have seen of his saw set up, it should be quick and accurate.

I would say that once you have it all set up yourself and get used to it, you should be able to get it done to SWMBO's satisfaction.
Which is with matters :wink:

Latest posts

Back