An amazing project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Design, detail and craftsmanship all in one completely pointless package - how long before the first cup of coffee or cocktail are sucked into the black hole of infinite depth (until evidence spreads on the carpet).

I came across Oliver Gomis a few days ago and posted details on one of the threads on this forum.
I think this table is surerb. If it was mine I would have a piece of glass on the top to finish it off.

Also saw this t’other day but came away from it feeling like it was a sad end for what was some lovely looking big chunks of timber at the start. Maybe it’s because I’m a bit tight and can’t bear the thought of slicing up quality timber to just make strips that are normally all I have left lying about as off cuts from a previous project.

Just watched it and am very impressed with his ingenuity. Is that a homemade bandsaw there?
I felt for him when trying to glue up his cylinder. I went through the the same heartache when making a cylinder for my clock; on a much smaller scale of course. However I hit upon a simple solution which I'm pretty sure could be used on any cylinder:-
Lay out all the staves on a flat surface inside face down with the adjoining edges just touching.
Glue 2 strips of stout material across all the staves (like a tambour)
When dry turn over and run glue along all the stave edges.
Roll the assembly to form a cylinder and use a couple of strap clamps to tighten it until the glue has cured.
Brian

Back