An alternative to designing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that level of detail requires hours of time in a rendering program. sketchup is not as good as other programs in terms of the model before rendering. if it was it wouldn't be free.
don't get me wrong i love sketchup. if you look at things i have posted you will see i use it all the time. but i am a student and can't afford other packages. firms wouldn't pay huge money for packages if they could get the same results from sketchup.

The blanket chest and bed was done with freeware. The others with Podium which isn't expensive. I didn't do those but the blanket chest render was about 20 minutes. Not hours.

I don't think the average woodworker needs to bother with rendering to photographic level anyway.

Sketchup is cropping up in a lot of places where Autocad used to be the only viable option. It's also making CAD much more accessible to those not trained in the subject.

i agree that sketchup is perfect for the "average woodworker" probably above average. i still think however that a professional package does deliver a better image. i realise that this level of detail won't apply to most people but there is a professional environment where a sketchup model looks below par. also packages like inventor can export tool paths which is a huge advantage for firms where cnc machines are used

If your only criteria for a professional images is photo-realism, no, SketchUp won't do that out of the box. On the other hand, it never was intended for that. However, it does what it was designed to do and more. I think it is unfair to compare it to other applications to which it was never intended as a competitor. It was designed to be a sketching program.

It is pointless to belittle it in the context of the way most people around here tend to use it. It seems a bit like saying the Saw Stop is lousy for slicing cheese.

in my comparison i said it was quicker and easier to use.i was not belittling it. i just commented that there are other programs which deliver a more photo-realistic image. i if read my original post i was making the point that it would be perfect for byronblack as its quick and easy nature seemed to suit his style.

ddashk":397z6axq said:
in my comparison i said it was quicker and easier to use.i was not belittling it. i just commented that there are other programs which deliver a more photo-realistic image. i if read my original post i was making the point that it would be perfect for byronblack as its quick and easy nature seemed to suit his style.

I don't know about that. I've spent hours trying to work wth sketchup, and I just don't 'get' it. It seems to take me ages to do something that would take me minutes on paper. I just don't find it intuitive, for me it's cumbersome and fiddly.

ByronBlack":zp4glfrb said:
Despite being computer literate and a trained designer, I cannot get on with sketchup, working with it feels wrong and I can never make it do what I want it to.

I find it x100 times faster to sketch with pencil and paper, working out relationships on a smaller scale. I use my imagination to 'see' how it will look in real scale, and work out dimensions against known sizes depending on how/where it's going to be used.

Once I have a sketch and the main dimensions, I'll tweak and add/remove aspects as I along - very much like Krenov, I try to see how the wood looks and make ammendments according to my eye as I go along. I'm too lazy to make rods or full-scale plans. I would only do that if I were making multiples of items; which so far I've not had to do.

I'm exactly the same, I can make hugly complex 3D Models in the top programs. But when it comes to woodwork I get out the pencil and go to town.

What I do find cad excellent for is if I want to work out the proportions of a piece of furniture in relation to a room, I can mock up the room and other items of furniture in box format then size my piece from that.

Back