americans on youtube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen Ramsey use any expensive tools, he does some ads but I don't care that much, it's not like I am ever going to buy a gripper, I make my own push sticks and prefer them. He's not been doing any interesting projects for a while now though, trinkets and boring stuff, I like stuff that has to do with making shop tools and benches and so forth.

I like that quebecois guy Alain Valaincourt (not sure I got that right), his shop build was/is very interesting. Interesting frame and construction.

Wnwoodworks are another, not alot of videos but the ones they've made have been detailed videos made with effort.

lol. yeah I know we cant put them all in one bracket. Some are really good but the most, just hobby boys with too much cash and not a lot of skill. The problem is with youtube is that any old joe can post a vid of them selves doing woodworking and it can be dangerous or it can be skilful, but people will follow and people will copy. Its a scary world. Sorry not great fun of the 'hobbyist' no offence, its nice but when your pushing the price of tools and timber up and your trying to make a living it gets tiring.

I don't think Americans are any different to hobby woodworkers all over the world, playing with tools is for many a lot more appealing than making furniture. And that's okay, it's their money and their time, so they can spend it any way they like.

DennisCA":2kqep9ki said:
but the brits seem to have taken "health and safety" light years beyond continental europe and scandinavia. Sometimes it seems to pervade everything you do.

A friend of mine who runs a small business, said to me the other week "You know with VAT and income tax, insurance etc, it used to be very hard to make a profit, but nowadays with all the health & safety nonsense it's downright impossible."

Some of the woodworkers on youtube that I watch now and then:
Frank Howarth - Easy going, a good variety of projects and obviously puts a lot of work into producing the videos too.
John Heisz - Makes a lot of his own tools, seems to be just for the hell of it, some interesting ideas.
Matthias Wandel - Again, makes lots of his own stuff, some things I'd love to make but know I'll never get round to them.
Steve Ramsay - Simple projects, Good for some inspiration for a beginner.
Paul Sellers - UK No power tools, very good explanation of how simple hand tools can be used to make great results.
Savvas Papasavva - UK Only watched a few as his name came up when researching the TS-200, some good ideas
Jay Bates - Occasionally has some interesting projects, good Sketchup videos
Izzy Swan - Some crazy ideas, but some good'uns too.

Wow, that's a lot, no wonder I haven't actually made much stuff :)

artie":1gavsfup said:
DennisCA":1gavsfup said:
but the brits seem to have taken "health and safety" light years beyond continental europe and scandinavia. Sometimes it seems to pervade everything you do.

A friend of mine who runs a small business, said to me the other week "You know with VAT and income tax, insurance etc, it used to be very hard to make a profit, but nowadays with all the health & safety nonsense it's downright impossible."
An aquaintance of mine runs a firm of decorators. He told me once that his men had been told they had to have hard hats before they would be allowed back on the job. They were painting skirtings in a school.

phil.p":20b2d40r said:
An aquaintance of mine runs a firm of decorators. He told me once that his men had been told they had to have hard hats before they would be allowed back on the job. They were painting skirtings in a school.

That sounds logical to me, if you're painting skirting you are at the lowest part of the room so anyone working above you could drop something on ya head.

Doug B":syar20ew said:
phil.p":syar20ew said:

That sounds logical to me, if you're painting skirting you are at the lowest part of the room so anyone working above you could drop something on ya head.

Maybe just because it's a insurance requirement these days for any site so if you want a job stick it on ya head, for any folks on site working with people dropping things on their heads from above I just wouldn't have that even if it was just crayons!

The last time someone asked me too it was to dig and pour a footing when 3 clowns were 2 storeys up some scaffolding above me knocking a section of wall down. Upon looking at my surprised face the agent said I would have my hard hat on and he would tell them to be careful. He didn't understand the concerns I had about bricks landing on my back or shoulders let alone the flimsy hardhat so I explained to the lads undertaking the work and they very considerately got on with something else for a bit. I hate them myself and believe if you hit your head on something it should learn you but you shouldn't be dodging missiles from above these days with the tools and working practices available, just don't tell me to put a hardhat and hi vis on when I'm in a bright yellow digger with a safety cab!

Anyway I do like these Americans mentioned, agreed some might not seem to care for fingers but every nation has people of a similar nature, there is some great things out there though and cheers for the link with that Frank guy with the quality camera stuff, can't believe I haven't subscribed to that one!

Dean

DennisCA":2k00h53a said:
The way this forum sometimes goes on about the yanks is more annoying

+2

Nice to see a few people in this forum don't just generalise and hate on a whole country. Its a very distasteful thread overall.

Judge individuals based on their own actions, not the actions of others they happen to share a continent with. Theres a word that describes those that judge people based solely on where they come from.....

artie":24gyofml said:
DennisCA":24gyofml said:

I'd say he's not running a good business then, just an excuse.
Health and safety has priority in my business and I can turn a profit most days.

Like everything on line - you have to plough through a fair bit of piffle to get to the real knowledge and advice. I also browse the FOG (festoonl owners group). It is amazing the amount of kit some will buy to make something simple for 'er indoors. There are, however, some very knowledgeable and professional contributors. The other one is the Felder Owners Group. Generally professionals with a peppering of amateurs. They like their big pieces of machinery but they are not about buying all the latest gear. They focus heavily on set-up and maintenance . The level of knowledge on that forum is astounding. The difference between forums and videos is the two way nature.
I must add, however, that the UK's very own Peter Parfitt gives them all a run for their money. With his relatively modest kit (mainly Festool) he knocks up some lovely pieces and explains the process and tools eloquently.
I sometimes wish he would do reviews and videos on other aspects of life like the weekly food shop.
Petertheeater

cornishjoinery":2encuqql said:
Saw one guy who has nearly every festool piece of kit you can buy and all he does is make things for his basement shop

I was re-watching a section of Steve Maskery DVD over the weekend, and remembered this quote - he certainly seemed to have a lot of Festool kit and was just making stuff for his workshop! ;-)

petertheeater":2encuqql said:
the UK's very own Peter Parfitt gives them all a run for their money

By coincidence I saw one of his videos at the weekend - I quite like his presentation style, but it started to sound like an advert for the UJK router lift at one point!

On top of the Americans previously mentioned, I've been enjoying this chap's videos recently as well.

JakeS":1rv1lcqn said:
petertheeater":1rv1lcqn said:
the UK's very own Peter Parfitt gives them all a run for their money

By coincidence I saw one of his videos at the weekend - I quite like his presentation style, but it started to sound like an advert for the UJK router lift at one point!

I know what you mean. I also like Mr Parfitt's style but I've noticed that he rarely ventures past Axminster and Festool products. Even retailers of castors he's recommended use his video's to extol their products.

I suspect that he's recompensed somehow, even if - as he claims - he's not on their payroll.

Back