American Black Walnut Drawer Unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this piece was going to look fantastic with the finish on, and I was right. Thanks for taking the shots of the finishing work - Nobody ever takes shots of the finishing stages.

Thanks for the info Lord Nibbo. In the past I have used General Finishes wipe on Poly for many projects. All their stuff is specifically sold as a wipe on product and does tend to be very thin which helps to get an even coat. They don't seem to do a cellulose sanding sealer but do a water based version.

http://www.generalfinishes.co.uk/index.cfm?page=store&CID=29

Have you or anyone else had any experience of this product? I need to start thinking about a finish for the clock project. Any suggestions?

This is what it looked like this morning after the second coat of oil.
1514242790_8ab9a9b94d_o.jpg

1514241810_8aef195b4e_o.jpg

After cutting back with 0000 wirewool, and cleaning off with a tack rag this is what it looked like.
1513387945_050b4df0a1_o.jpg

Then the third coat of oil was applied.
1513384853_8681894377_o.jpg

1514235144_af6ca9b885_o.jpg

1513386989_3b2761b6d2_o.jpg

So I think the three coats will be enough. I did intend to do the drawers insides and with lemon oil but I ain't got none :(
Maybe late today it will get a coat of wax and taken into the house. :D

So there will be only one more pic and that will be of the drawer unit in the house. Many thanks for all the encouraging comments from everyone they certainly are appreciated. :lol:

Lukey":3371vmja said:
What would the lemon oil inside the drawers do?

Make it smell nice Lukey, using danish oil could hold the smell for quite a while.

Lemon oil is really used for cleaning, as a protection for the wood it is totally useless and it is not really an oil as it's usually loaded with spirit. :?

It's Finished and in the home

The Final Pics

Swmbo wanted a satin finish so this morning with the Danish oil well cured I applied Black Bison Paste Wax with 0000 grade wire wool then when totally covered I wire wooled it again quite harshly so no area was at all shiny then after a good clean I waxed it again and then buffed it up. I must say I did quite like it a very high gloss but on finishing it I'm pleased with the outcome of the satin finish. :)

1522633639_790b1adb02.jpg

1523499120_d206653215.jpg

1523504790_14e258ea67.jpg

The final pic.... a big one :D

1523502668_32a4e5ca94_o.jpg

:lol:

Excellent work LN - If I could knock things out with your speed and quality, i'd be a very happy chappie :)

Lovely work LN, I love the chunkyness. Walnut is definately my favourite wood.

Fecn":2ocllkfx said:
Excellent work LN - If I could knock things out with your speed and quality, i'd be a very happy chappie :)
Says the guy who just 'knocked' out a CNC router in his spare time! :roll:

Slimjim81":35k3fh4l said:
Fecn":35k3fh4l said:
Says the guy who just 'knocked' out a CNC router in his spare time! :roll:

That's not quite the same thing though.. I'm far better with technical than I am with technique - I would have destroyed a lot of wood if I'd attempted to do the dovetails by hand like LN did... and it would be many weeks before I managed to knock out a set which looked as good as LNs.

Brilliant. Just showed my SWMBO and she said, and I quote

Thats gorgeous, tell him to make me one. For free.

On a serious note though, something that I have just spotted now that the finish is applied. It all looks really really chunky, but the illusion is slightly shattered by the feet of the unit as you can see that it is boards instead of solid slabs of wood.

If you look at the big pic, the bottom right of the unit.

I suppose this could be improved in the future sometime by glueing another piece of walnut along the inside of the unit....? Thoughts

Many thanks to everyone.
I'm really glad it was appreciated.

brianhabby":38i9awhe said:
Absolutely fantastic LN and I don't think I've seen a thread last nine pages before either - must be all them big pics :D :D

regards

Brian

Brian I got a long long way to go to equal Byrons Workshop build HERE

:lol:

Back