American Black Walnut - Food Safe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanf

Established Member
Reaction score
So in my continued one step forwards, two steps back in learning woodworking, I decided to design a napkin holder that I could quickly make after we bought a big stock of napkins at the weekend. I was about to hit the buy button on some American Black Walnut to use for this but first checked if it is safe to use for the purpose. I have found everything from It will kill you to We eat walnuts so what could possibly go wrong! Can anyone provide a definitive answer on whether it would be suitable please? I plan to use a food safe finish, is that enough to remove any concerns bearing in mind we will be wiping hands and mouths with napkins that will be stored in the holder for some time?

Thank you as always

Sean

For a napkin holder? it's fine. For anyone who could have allergies (I've never heard of it, but my dad will choke if he eats the walnuts).

Apparently, the shavings from the wood are toxic for horses (I didn't read further on this - I'm guessing if they crib chew or chew bedding or accidentally eat some if their food is on the floor? Dont' know).

There are a whole lot of dining tables and counters that were built in the early 1900s when walnut was popular, though - I ate at one for a decade and never an issue.

I am pretty sure it's fine, you are not eating the napkin holders. If you can make a table from it then I would suggest a napkin holder is the same.
If you were to use it as a bowl or cutting board for direct food contact then it would be a slightly different matter ,though I think Walnut is probably OK for this too.
You can't use Yew for cutting boards for example as it is poisonous.

Ollie

There’s a big difference between being safe for food contact and being edible. The finish is in between you and the food, so I’d focus on that, it’s not like you’re making things from manchineel

Thank you all for the quick and detailed replies. I shall go ahead with my purchase now

Sean

I think you'll be perfectly safe using black walnut for napkin rings! All species of walnuts contain a compound called juglone, it's in the leaves, wood & nuts. The 'edible' walnut (Juglans regia) contains less than the American species (J. nigra) but we are not particularly sensitive to it & so most of us can eat the nuts from either species with impunity.

Horses are indeed highly sensitive to juglone. I spent some years working as a veterinary pathologist in Nth. America & encountered several cases of severe illness or death in horses that were given black walnut shavings as bedding (yes, the stupid creatures do eat it, probably out of boredom!) However, I am quite happy to eat walnuts (occasionally, can't say I'm as fond of them as some other nuts), but I don't think it would be wise to make them your sole diet. As a wise chap we know as Paracelsus said, several centuries ago (I paraphrase): "all things are poison, there is nothing that is without toxicity, 'tis the dose that maketh the poison"....
Cheers,

Back