American Black Walnut Drawer Unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
American Black Walnut Drawer Unit

I'm going to build a copy of this pic out of American Black Walnut, it won't be an exact copy mine will be longer and lower.
1401966151_c9d38a718f_o.jpg

Here are my drawings for the unit using sketchup.
1402020681_4dc7b604f0.jpg

Here's the stock of 25mm boards of American Black Walnut that will be used.
1423860690_4beca46f2b.jpg

Starting this afternoon I used the worst boards that were twisted or warped badly for the ends of the unit as the finished lengths will only be 16" The pic below shows the ends cut to approximate length of 19" the finish length will be 16" all the pieces have been planed flat and one edge jointed using the jointer in the background of the pic, they are all thicknessed to 3/4" using the thicknesser positioned behind the jointer.
1422976979_39224ca0eb_o.jpg

I do love WIP threads. Looks like it's going to be a good project - You've got some nice looking boards there.

The grain does look fascinating in the original photo and you've also got yourself some nice grain patters in your boards.

I'm aware that American Black Walnut isn't exactly cheap, so can I get an idea of just how much you've had to pay for what is essentially a very small project?

The amount you have seem to match the kind of offers you can find going on eBay?

OPJ":1330whoy said:
I'm aware that American Black Walnut isn't exactly cheap, so can I get an idea of just how much you've had to pay for what is essentially a very small project?

Ordered it from Atkins & Cripps, I needed 20 board ft so I ordered 35ft = 3.5 cu ft x £44.50 per cu ft. thats for boards 25mm thick. My last project boards 65mm thick were £60ish cu ft.

Sometimes I have a problem with spectators and no amount of persuasion is gonna move them,
Here I am trying to shift them. :)
1423600059_31d056a985.jpg

All the boards were thicknessed and the side nearest the fence was jointed, here I am just squaring the other edge before jointing it.
1424482138_46fb816d93.jpg

No amount of persuasion was going to shift him, so I have to work around him. :)
1423597995_670fb5e322.jpg

I'm sorting the boards for best sides and edges, Bosun decides he might move. :)
1424479866_27dc6dc1f4.jpg

All the boards sorted glued and clamped up.
1423595869_93479f1b29.jpg

Fecn":16tameby said:
You've got some nice looking boards there.

I've used the worst warped & twisted boards first as they are some of the shortest in the project. The better boards will be used for the top and front. So far I had no sap wood at all :shock: Maybe I should keep my trap shut :lol:

I love your bears/dogs, I wish I had the space/time to keep dogs, i could do with some company in the workshop, unfortunately my cats show no interest at all - more interested in eating my mrs' shrubs.

I bet its a nightmare getting sawdust and other foreign objects out of their coats. Everytime I take my springer for a walk, he comes back with hundreds of seeds/twigs/cleavers etc. knotted into his coat. It takes me about half an hour a day to brush him.

Slimjim81":1ny1pqfk said:
I bet its a nightmare getting sawdust and other foreign objects out of their coats. Everytime I take my springer for a walk, he comes back with hundreds of seeds/twigs/cleavers etc. knotted into his coat. It takes me about half an hour a day to brush him.
Otto the younger one loves being brushed, infact he'll push in almost saying "Me first" :lol: Bosun hates being brushed, loves sitting/laying out in the rain, exploring in the shrubs, generally getting matted up, he also stinks :roll: no matter how often he gets a bath he still stinks :lol: so because he won't stay around to be brushed I attack him with scissors and just cut the clumps off him, I filled a carrier bag up only yesterday and that was just off his front legs :lol: We still love him though :oops:

devonwoody":topowg9i said:
Another nice looking project coming along, you seem to work on the other end of the size scale to me.
I don't think size is important, Or is that what everyone used to say? :lol:

Would have liked to be doing some more today but swmbo insisted being taken out for lunch, so the workshops a no go area today. :lol:

Wow thats some shop you've got there. The way the sun reflects of that beautiful jointer i thought that was the subject in the pic, didn't even notice the wood laid out to show grain. :oops: . or was that a subtle GLOAT :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The project coming together nicely just one question, how are you planning on joining face frame to sides? Mitre joint, thats one long mitre across the front! But hey what am i on about you've got that beaut of Jointer!!!
I'm so jealous space is such a premium in my shop i couldn't fit any of that. I'm enjoying the WIP, carn't wait for the next installment.
Cool New Founderlands. 8)

Regards Alex

Alex":2tz3nrsn said:
The project coming together nicely just one question, how are you planning on joining face frame to sides? Mitre joint, thats one long mitre across the front!

Regards Alex

Every face will be mitred to the adjoining two faces (three faces regarding the side/end. panels) and every edge will have a micro chamfer. Which means the top will need to be about a 64th of an inch over size on every edge, I'll explain why later with pics of my cunning way doing a chamfer on a mitred edge without cutting into and exposing the mitre. :lol:

Lord Nibbo":1yrueboc said:
devonwoody":1yrueboc said:
making table saw accessories.

You got the Axminster up and running then.... :lol: :wink: \:D/

Funny thing I'm missing my triton, all I seem to be doing is finding things to make like pressure fingers, false tables, now wanting a mitre sled.

Have you got a mitre sled?

devonwoody":3iqpiat3 said:
Lord Nibbo":3iqpiat3 said:
devonwoody":3iqpiat3 said:
making table saw accessories.

You got the Axminster up and running then.... :lol: :wink: \:D/

Funny thing I'm missing my triton, all I seem to be doing is finding things to make like pressure fingers, false tables, now wanting a mitre sled.

Have you got a mitre sled?
I use the sliding table :eek: :?

I'm wanting to cut mitres on 3" lengths and dont like my fingers that close to the blade also need some hefty clamping setups to stop any creepage and I have got some sled ideas.

Apologies to Lord Nibbo re posting above on his thread.

devonwoody":9vy0kvh4 said:
Apologies to Lord Nibbo re posting above on his thread.

No problem DW, glad to find you got your saw sorted.

Oh! and many thanks for the email about the pics in some shots looking pink, twas the flash. :lol:

Back