Am I still in the same Universe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the fact you came up with Mystic Dave. It's like 'I'll only invest a certain amount of energy into this web based pun.'

Graham Orm":mxx1w5cy said:
It's junk. Why pretend it's anything else? There's masses of it posted and it's all junk. It's put out there for people to see and pass comment on. My comment is that it's junk. This guy isn't an ex veteran who can only use one foot, he's one of many who make this stuff and post pictures of it. We don't all have to pretend it's good. It isn't.

I realise it's not a good thing to criticize someone else's work, I wouldn't like it. But then I wouldn't post something like this and expect praise. To me it looks like something an enthusiastic 12 year old might make......one with no taste at all.
Self righteous snob.

Ive resisted this thread for sooooo long.... but as the borg would say.... resistance is futile ;)

Hears my pile of pallets waiting to be converted into something useful.....

shed-2.jpg

Here's my other pile of scrounged wood again waiting to be transformed..... in that lot are 4 10x10 by 4ft solid pieces of what I think is oak. My brother was going to chop it up and burn it.... :shock:

shed-6.jpg

Now here is one of my pallet/reclaimed wood projects:

shed-4.jpg

I'm actually quite proud of it! I'm no professional woodworker and it seems to make no sense to turn proper wood into chips when I can use pallets. Trago Mills our local outlet store used to give them away and are now selling them! the rails and panels are all reclaimed pallets and I learned how to re saw, plane, thickness, make rebates, tongue and v grooves mortise and tenons and none of it cost me a penny.

So what are we actually saying here? I think the OP has a valid point but may have expressed it shall we say a little bluntly. He wasn't having a go at a forum member but even so being quite so derisive of someone's hard work seems a little unfair to me and it would certainly put me off posting pictures of my wood butchery for help or critique. It takes all sorts to make a world and although the table in question is not to my taste it is probably better than something that I could currently produce!! :oops:

So I guess my take is that using reclaimed wood of any type is preferable to wasting good wood that "proper" carpenters use and "proper" carpenters should be grateful that I'm leaving the "good" wood for them :D

Although no offense was intended to any person by the OP and was more a comment on a trend/fashion, it should be remembered that such posts can be off putting to newer fourum members and non "proper" carpenters...

well that's my 4 penneth (hammer)

Attachments

• shed-2.jpg
    shed-2.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 424
  • shed-6.jpg
    shed-6.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 424
  • shed-4.jpg
    shed-4.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 424
Markvk":2x2hpeqh said:
Ive resisted this thread for sooooo long.... but as the borg would say.... resistance is futile ;)

Hears my pile of pallets waiting to be converted into something useful.....

Here's my other pile of scrounged wood again waiting to be transformed..... in that lot are 4 10x10 by 4ft solid pieces of what I think is oak. My brother was going to chop it up and burn it.... :shock:

Now here is one of my pallet/reclaimed wood projects:

I'm actually quite proud of it! I'm no professional woodworker and it seems to make no sense to turn proper wood into chips when I can use pallets. Trago Mills our local outlet store used to give them away and are now selling them! the rails and panels are all reclaimed pallets and I learned how to re saw, plane, thickness, make rebates, tongue and v grooves mortise and tenons and none of it cost me a penny.

So what are we actually saying here? I think the OP has a valid point but may have expressed it shall we say a little bluntly. He wasn't having a go at a forum member but even so being quite so derisive of someone's hard work seems a little unfair to me and it would certainly put me off posting pictures of my wood butchery for help or critique. It takes all sorts to make a world and although the table in question is not to my taste it is probably better than something that I could currently produce!! :oops:

So I guess my take is that using reclaimed wood of any type is preferable to wasting good wood that "proper" carpenters use and "proper" carpenters should be grateful that I'm leaving the "good" wood for them :D

Although no offense was intended to any person by the OP and was more a comment on a trend/fashion, it should be remembered that such posts can be off putting to newer fourum members and non "proper" carpenters...

well that's my 4 penneth (hammer)

EDIT: I'd placed my comment in the middle of the quoted post!

Fair comment. I like the door. That is 'proper' use of the wood. Some thought and effort has clearly gone in. Well done, keep up the good work and keep posting pictures. No matter what your skill level, there's always someone better. Everyone has to learn.

Back