Am I still in the same Universe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well #disappointed I though this one would run on a bit, nope.
The faux environmental aspects are a good point, I try to recycle materials a fair bit but don't pretend that I don't live a modern life.
Perhaps we need a sharpening thread.

The point as I see it is someone has gone to the trouble to make something.
I can think of some highly crafted pieces both antique and modern that I think are horrendous looking, but that is irrelevant as beauty is in the eye, etc.
The labels attached to it because of the emotional reaction of the viewer are all of equal weight and irrelevance.

If the OP was put up in the hope of seeing 45 pages of hissing and spitting between the pro and anti camps - grief what a bore and we should all go do some planing using our preferred sharpening method.

Who's to say the maker isn't recovering from a severe accident ? What's to say he's not partially sighted or has some other disibility. Without knowing the back story, posting a picture and just slagging it off doesn't really portray what the forum is really about.
It's easy to find fault- do something better with similar resources and then see how you feel when someone posts about it saying awful it is. Shame on you !
Why not rub it in and message him saying he's got too much time on his hands- that's my personal favourite :)

Perhaps he's just doing the best he can with what he's got- who knows

Coley

It's junk. Why pretend it's anything else? There's masses of it posted and it's all junk. It's put out there for people to see and pass comment on. My comment is that it's junk. This guy isn't an ex veteran who can only use one foot, he's one of many who make this stuff and post pictures of it. We don't all have to pretend it's good. It isn't.

I realise it's not a good thing to criticize someone else's work, I wouldn't like it. But then I wouldn't post something like this and expect praise. To me it looks like something an enthusiastic 12 year old might make......one with no taste at all.

What if there's a young kid looking at said 'junk' thinking "dya know what, I think I might try doing that" is that not a good thing that it might be the stepping stone to getting someone into woodworking ? If all we ever saw was immaculately designed and executed pieces it'd put more people off by thinking it was beyond their capabilities.
The thing I dislike most about your original post is you made it personal by singling him out by posting his name and mocking the responses. I think that's cowardly if you don't offer the chance for him to reply.

Coley

ColeyS1":34h8hpgm said:
What if there's a young kid looking at said 'junk' thinking "dya know what, I think I might try doing that" is that not a good thing that it might be the stepping stone to getting someone into woodworking ? If all we ever saw was immaculately designed and executed pieces it'd put more people off by thinking it was beyond their capabilities.
The thing I dislike most about your original post is you made it personal by singling him out by posting his name and mocking the responses. I think that's cowardly if you don't offer the chance for him to reply.

Coley

OK

Graham Orm":15w762is said:
It's junk. Why pretend it's anything else?

He made it, that on it's own deserves credit
He likes it, who are we to judge other peoples taste.
He's proud of it, and why not, I would guess he doesn't have the benefit of years of professional instruction or masses of free time to hone his skills. even if he did, he likes it.
He shared it with his friends, why not, he hasn't submitted it to an academy or asked liberty to sell it for him.
Maybe you think he shouldn't have bothered and just spent a few more hours watching TV, or perhaps brought something from DFOakFurnitureScrapLand or whatever, or maybe saved up for a few years and commissioned someone with 'taste' to build him something?

I'd rather see someone making stuff than not. That's the full extent of my opinion. Whether I like it or not is to all intents and purpose irrelevant. We all have different tastes, that's the point isn't it? Maybe in a few years that fella will be making top quality joinery. Maybe not. It's his choice though isn't it. Right I'm just back from work so I'm going down to the shed to try making my first Jig. The Jig I convinced myself I didn't need all of a week ago. We all have the right to change our minds and progress don't we? :D

You guys having a go are completely missing my point.
I'm not attacking the guy. He's one of many, good luck to him and his descendants. It's the trend that grates with me. Someone knocked something together from scrap wood and it caught on. It's ugly, tasteless, just in case there's any danger of it looking like furniture they paint it a garish colour.

No skills":rbh3mswf said:
Which is your opinion which of course you are entitled to, probably not for too much longer if the EU have anything to do with it :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For you who think palate wood is junk. well done. That means there is more for me. Spare bit of wood for a job. Cut it down and use. Woun't say what I've made from palates. But save a bomb. Free wood for the asking.
John933

Bm101":22nm3amx said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRlBtabKRFM

Here ya go Graham, You're gonna love this. It's hand crafted to the highest standards mate. :D
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OK I surrender. Masterchef!
IMG_20160403_131359b.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160403_131359b.jpg
    IMG_20160403_131359b.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 660
put it on nicer legs and it's not too bad. from the tiny image, he's done a good job of making the top and it's got a nice finish on it.
the rest (which I'm thinking is more likely not pallet wood) is a bit nasty looking, but hey at least he's tried.

I will point out that it's stood in a workshop with a well worn ply floor (most likely from a lot of work in the space) which suggests to me he's got access to more than just basic tooling to me, but then, in the states, doesn't everyone have access to more than basic tools?

having said that, it's posted on woodworking for mere mortals, a group thats run by Steve Ramsey, a guy who is all about trying to get people to make more, so maybe we shouldn't be knocking it after all.

Back