Am I ffing mad ? Very long post 😄

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houtslager

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, due to old age affecting my few brain cells, I have decided to close my UK and Nl workshops and move to France. This is mainly due to a majority of my work is for ex UK/Nl pat's.
After months looking for a suitable building with a home too 😁. I found this on Le Bon Coin, a delepdated 3 bed house with a 900m² she'd attached 😳😂😎
The plan -
Gut house and install new plumbing and electrical systems, heating to be electric with woodburners as secondary. Shed - clear out rubbish, strip and sell all cabling (must be a km or 2 in shed )
Oh the shed was a tool foundry with 2 power hamers , smaller one is for sale 😳🤣🤣🤣
If anyone in France is in the area 52150 pop in ,as the coffee pot is always on.
Oh, andif anyone needs a table saw and/or a dust collector, I'm selling my KITY 619

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230318_114031.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318_114031.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20221104-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221104-WA0000.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221030-093957__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20221030-093957__01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I finally got my 17th cent water mill finished just before I left France.....17 years.....total rebuild......
100_1938.JPG

Dont plan to much as everything takes longer there......
we happened to live in a very anti Brit community.....although we had some brilliant French friends......

would I do it again, YES but not in France......

good luck......

To be successful with a TV programme or YouTube you really need to be useless and make lots of mistakes, fins someone locally to mess up things and take a few months just to do a simple task.
I imagine you are not THAT old, or are REALLY fed up with this country.
I lived in France for a year or so, my French is pretty poor but I always managed and never had any problems with people, but of course you are already well acquainted with France and the French.
My dream is to move back to Austria for the years I have left, I loved living in a village in the Alps just within the boundary of a National Park. The locals were fantastic and again, though my German is poor it was easy to get along because almost every one I met spoke English, some had not done so since school and enjoyed the opportunity to talk to an English person. It makes me very sad just thinking about it. Unfortunately things went rather bad financially and I came back to the UK, something I will regret until my dying day. MY wife loved it too, but for some reason she is reluctant to move back there - I think because she is concerned I will buy a dilapidated place (as usual) but will not be able to do the work, she says when she pegs out I should go back!
Now THAT's what a call a workshop with a bit of space!
Best of luck.

To be successful with a TV programme or YouTube you really need to be useless and make lots of mistakes, fins someone locally to mess up things and take a few months just to do a simple task.
I imagine you are not THAT old, or are REALLY fed up with this country.
I lived in France for a year or so, my French is pretty poor but I always managed and never had any problems with people, but of course you are already well acquainted with France and the French.
My dream is to move back to Austria for the years I have left, I loved living in a village in the Alps just within the boundary of a National Park. The locals were fantastic and again, though my German is poor it was easy to get along because almost every one I met spoke English, some had not done so since school and enjoyed the opportunity to talk to an English person. It makes me very sad just thinking about it. Unfortunately things went rather bad financially and I came back to the UK, something I will regret until my dying day. MY wife loved it too, but for some reason she is reluctant to move back there - I think because she is concerned I will buy a dilapidated place (as usual) but will not be able to do the work, she says when she pegs out I should go back!
Now THAT's what a call a workshop with a bit of space!
Best of luck.

I disagree you have to be useless and make lots of mistakes

- Essential Craftsman created a YT channel with 1.2M subscribers building a house
- Sampson Boat Co has got 0.5M via rebuilding a boat

Neither are useless or make lots of mistakes

I disagree you have to be useless and make lots of mistakes

- Essential Craftsman created a YT channel with 1.2M subscribers building a house
- Sampson Boat Co has got 0.5M via rebuilding a boat

Neither are useless or make lots of mistakes
I am not good at finding the right channels, lack of practice I think.

@houtslager caution..long reply.

Non, tu n'es pas fou :)
But, as Clogs said, things take longer here, and it really pays off to speak and understand french well.
Nice project, if you do most / all of it yourself.Very expensive if french "tradies" do any of it for you.

Tip..When I arrived in France in 90, my french was virtually non existent, such that although I drink my coffee black with no sugar, I spent the first six months , drinking white with sugar at cafés, because I did not know how to say "no milk or sugar thank you" in french. I had met SWMBO ( who is breton french ) within the first 10 days, thankfully she spoke English.

I learned my basic first "conversational french" by watching french TV, Canal+ at the time would show movies in "VO" ( Usually English, which I subsequently learned was often badly or approximately translated ) and later that same week in French. Dirty Harry Monday evening in English, the same movie on Wednesday evening in French, that sort of thing, with the occasional "correction / explanation" from "Madame".

She, like very many french, had a collection of BD ( bande dessinée = comic books ) Asterix and so on. Also a few paperbacks in Bi-lingual, Agatha Christie etc. I began learning to read french via these. It took me three years to become fluent in everyday spoken french, another two to become fluent in technical , scientific and legal french ( 3 court cases brought by us, 3 wins, each time I did not use lawyers ).I don't say that to blow my own trumpet, but to point out that it is possible.

If you treat learning a new language as you learnt your mother tongue, you'll do much better, learn it like a child, begin with the child level stuff. Yes I know Dirty Harry isn't kids stuff, but the cartoons were on in the mornings, and I'm not a morning person.

Don't watch UK TV..you'll not learn your new language by watching and hearing the one you already know.

Many ex-pats do just that, ( there is a magazine for them here in Brittany, with loads of ads for UK TV systems ) and never really integrate, nor achieve the fluency that would allow them to do so, one can learn a great deal about what is going on , by overhearing conversations.

If you are going to be running a business here, decide if you want to start small ( micro-entreprise ) or become a french LTD ( SARL )..

pm me for the name of a scammer to avoid like the proverbial plague, a supposed, he claims "chartered accountant" / "expert comptable" who is neither, ( a Brit ) who preys upon the "ex-pat" community and who I and SWMBO spent 18 months extricating one couple who he scammed from the french tax ( fisc ) and social security services ( URSSAF ) who had sent the bailiffs to seize their house and their bank accounts.He had told the couple that he had taken care of it all, the result was that they were unknowingly ( upon his "expert advice" ) committing tax and social security fraud here, and had been doing so for 6 years before the french authorities decided to take a look at them.

As a result of helping them, I became friends with ( and unofficial translator for ) the heads of a couple of french tax fraud office divisions, one where the couple lived, and one where I live.
He is still running his scam , with 100s of "ex-pat" "clients".

According to my friends at the tax offices, they are now getting around ( since Brexit ) to looking into the ex-pat communities ( of all countries ) or the dual nationality holders in France, but the language barrier and the fact that many "ex-pats" trade and work amongst themselves in their own anglophone communities means that it takes them longer to gather evidence before taking action. They already are understaffed to deal with the french, whose own communities ( like the forains I used to work with ) already have thriving "black economies" of their own.Both my tax inspector friends inform me that 90% of their investigations are sparked by denunciations ( written or phoned, often anonymous ), as an "incoming foreigner" you can never know whose nose may be put out of joint by your merely arriving and opening a business, or buying a building which maybe they had their eye on ( even if they could never afford it ) which makes you more likely to be the subject of speculation and maybe a phone call, than a local person.

Depending on your age, the official french language requirements ( to set up a business and obtain residency if your or your partner are both Brits ) are easier than they seem at first glance. Then again , if you are Norn based, you may well have an Irish passport, ( aren't they just grand :) ) so all is good re travel and right of abode and work / running businesses.

France ( mainland ) can be good ( despite clogs's experience ) , but can be ( and is frequently ) extremely frustrating, with many faults, but, from what I remember ( and see nowadays of the UK ), it is by far preferable to living in mainland Britain.
The french overseas areas are even better, what is not to like about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_France

Last edited:
Ok, due to old age affecting my few brain cells, I have decided to close my UK and Nl workshops and move to France. This is mainly due to a majority of my work is for ex UK/Nl pat's.
After months looking for a suitable building with a home too 😁. I found this on Le Bon Coin, a delepdated 3 bed house with a 900m² she'd attached 😳😂😎
The plan -
Gut house and install new plumbing and electrical systems, heating to be electric with woodburners as secondary. Shed - clear out rubbish, strip and sell all cabling (must be a km or 2 in shed )
Oh the shed was a tool foundry with 2 power hamers , smaller one is for sale 😳🤣🤣🤣
If anyone in France is in the area 52150 pop in ,as the coffee pot is always on.
Oh, andif anyone needs a table saw and/or a dust collector, I'm selling my KITY 619
You can get lost in a 10,000 sQ foot shed!
tie a rope to the door knob and yourselfso you can get back out until you find your way around. That's huge!

The plan -
Good luck or as they say bon courage

Latest posts

Back