Alternative to Leigh Jig for Box Joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently, I wanted to make some box joints in ply, but I didn't have a method to do them.

My table saw slider doesn't accept a dado stack, so that's out.

Other than a Leigh jig what other methods could I consider?

I'm only considering them for ply boxes.

I did simple but joint with dominos and it holds up nicely, but I didn't like the look.
Hence my thoughts are to now develop a method for box/finger joints.

On the olden days, not all that long ago you would make your own. Take that slider of yours and carefully cut a finger board to match a router bit. Either using a bushing in the base of the router or a bearing over bit. Jig on the work, cut the fingers, then offset the fingers by one on the other side of the joint. Not so hard when you think about it and way cheaper.

Pete

After watching some videos I made a simple jig to use on a router table. It's similar in principle to the Rockler jigs but only does 5mm size, built from MDF and scrap wood but surprisingly accurate on a cheap Fox router table

Hi I've don a video on a table saw jig for box joints, I'll post the link here. I hope you find the content helpful. Tony

Hi
I am thinking of using box joints on a small Oak cupboard I am making for my coffee beans.
Is there a standard for the size of the pins dependant on the tgi kness of wood one is using? For example the pin and 'mortise' should be half the thickness of the wood? So for 25mm timber use 12mm pins.

Hope this makes sense 😊👍

Hi
I am thinking of using box joints on a small Oak cupboard I am making for my coffee beans.
Is there a standard for the size of the pins dependant on the tgi kness of wood one is using? For example the pin and 'mortise' should be half the thickness of the wood? So for 25mm timber use 12mm pins.

Hope this makes sense 😊👍

There is no such rule. To me finger width is mainly about aesthetics. Too few and wide fingers will look strange, so will too narrow. If nothing unusual, I usually aim for close to material thickness for the finger width. I always go for odd no of fingers as that will give a symmetric look, I also avoid strange endings with half fingers or other "defects". If It's drawers, I end the boxjoints so the front will have facegrain on both ends, similar to if it was a dovetail jointed front, but that's personal taste.

Latest posts

Back