Box joint jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen many 'YouTube' examples of how to make a box joint jig. Most far to elaborate for the space I have, but I found an easy sample and made one. This is my result from a first ever box joint jig. It isn't pretty but I was pleasantly surprised with the result. I have since made a jig for each of my cutters, each made much smaller overall and easier to use in my small shop.
On looking at all the YouTube examples the woodworker does one piece at a time. Surely there must be a way of cutting both pieces of wood at the same time! Well with a clamp to grip both pieces of wood of cause you can. So onward I go happy I can now introduce box joints to my woodworking projects.

Attachments

• 20230318_box joint jig.jpg
    20230318_box joint jig.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Good work. You could eliminate much of that tear out if having a support piece behind the wood you're cutting. It could be as simple as clamping a piece of MDF to the rear fence so you get a zero clearance slot around the saw blade.

BTW, not all youtube jigs cuts one at a time, I often cut 4 on my jig;) ....and can cut more than than if not too thick pieces. Sorry for low res pics, screendumped from video.
Screenshot_20230322-113138_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230322-113201_Gallery.jpg

Good work. You could eliminate much of that tear out if having a support piece behind the wood you're cutting. It could be as simple as clamping a piece of MDF to the rear fence so you get a zero clearance slot around the saw blade.

BTW, not all youtube jigs cuts one at a time, I often cut 4 on my jig;) ....and can cut more than than if not too thick pieces. Sorry for low res pics, screendumped from video.View attachment 155593
View attachment 155594

I must say your cuts are super good. i made my jig for a router but I think you are right to suggest a backing board to reduce he tear out, also using cheap pallet wood doesn't help much. I should be interested to know what your jig looks like for a table saw?
Thank you very much for sharing your advice, I hope to improve as I go on.

Latest posts

Back