Ally Pally Show Thoughts...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my first major show too. I also think festool had a take it or leave it approach, when i was asked if i owned any, i said its a bit dear, the gentleman said ''lifes too short for cheap tools''.
I was eager to look at their sliding mitre saw, when i asked how they justifie the price tag with so many plastic parts, he told me that i didn't have to buy it!!!!!
I came away with a lovely freud saw blade (£20 off!)
Was hoping for a few more hand tool demos tho.

Rknott2007":2nl5mtlv said:
my first major show too. I also think festool had a take it or leave it approach, when i was asked if i owned any, i said its a bit dear, the gentleman said ''lifes too short for cheap tools''.
I was eager to look at their sliding mitre saw, when i asked how they justifie the price tag with so many plastic parts, he told me that i didn't have to buy it!!!!!
I came away with a lovely freud saw blade (£20 off!)
Was hoping for a few more hand tool demos tho.

That probably did get his back up saying that.

Unless you own Festool you probably wouldn't appreciate just how good it is and the thought that goes into its design.

I too thought it was over priced but once you use it you realize its worth every penny.

I still think the Kapex is too dear but I am sure I will still buy one in the end. :lol:

I didn't go to the show so I cant say how the Festool people behaved but I am sure if you went in to an expensive car showroom and started asking how they justified the price of their cars then you would be asked to leave :lol:

gwaithcoed":urjasasd said:
I wish there were some decent shows in Wales, we really are beyond the Pale here.
here here :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Alan.

Taylors of Liverpool used to hold a small woodworking show in Llandudno sometime in June but they haven't been for a few years. I don't know what happened but the show was very welcome and I always spent some money there.

Ally Pally is a heck of a long way from Colwyn Bay

regards

Brian

You wanna try it from Cardigan! I'm perfectly serious when I say that a Dublin show would be easier for me!
The county town and no rail link!

Roy.

Hi Roy, I had intended to go but got redirected to coulsden to pick up laminated flooring won on ebay (yet another job I supposedly volunteered for in my sleep) anyway, from what I read on the forum it was very disappointing, so I'll be looking to go to Kempton park in November, I dare'nt go to sleep between now and then for fear of getting another job. :roll:
Rich.

Digit":1q9457yn said:
You wanna try it from Cardigan! I'm perfectly serious when I say that a Dublin show would be easier for me!
The county town and no rail link!

Roy.

Fair point Roy. If there was a show in Cardigan I doubt I would attend it.

I think if someone could organise a woodworking show at the NEC in Birmingham it might prove popular. It's certainly more central than London.

regards

Brian

Paul Chapman":tehmdtd6 said:
Pecker":tehmdtd6 said:
Here in Pembs the "Yankee" screwdriver is the latest cordless tool :lol: :lol:

And what's wrong with Yankees?

Yankee1.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Nothing wrong with a Yankee where do you get them adaptors?

Reply to brianhabby re someone should put a woodworking show on at the NEC. There is the woodmex show in Oct at the NEC. Have a look at their website-- I think you might be impressed with the list of exhibitors. Doesn't look like any carboot type stands will be there and its FREE to enter if you pre register

Having been to various trade shows all over the country I have to say that I was a bit underwhealmed by Ally Pally on Friday. I was hoping to see lots of nice hand tools and the selection was very thin . . . .

Hi all, I agree that the show was smaller this year than last, I had spoken to Jez Walters (Organizer) who would like this to be one of the best shows in the UK, as with anything people can only improve with feedback... let him know what you want, expect, require.. no comments = no action!! I am sure he would appreciate any constructive criticism, as would we all.

Digit":3ndqicrl said:
I've even tried lurking near the rack to see if I could strike up an aquaintanceship but still I've never seen anybody buy.
Roy.

OMG Roy, you do realise the danger you're in doing that don't you :wink:

Digit":pu1zj4iz said:
Mind you, no chance of arrest, it was 11am and all our local coppers are at a cafe on the industrial estate!
Roy.

Phew that's OK then :lol: I was getting a tad worried there, see previous post.

brianhabby":3hpcks05 said:
I think if someone could organise a woodworking show at the NEC in Birmingham it might prove popular. It's certainly more central than London.
regards
Brian

Brian, it is rumoured that Axminster might be doing their show again this year (Having missed last year) so that would be easier for you, drive to Swansea and get on M4 / M5 doing the NEC would be all cross country for you wouldn't it :?:

Here in Wales North/South is pretty straight forward, East/West normally means travelling North or South before you can turn East of West. Either that or some blooming 'orrible roads!
The main N/S coast road the, A487, is mainly normal carriageway and had the last part widened to modern standards only 5yrs ago.
Round some parts 3 cars represents a traffic jam!

Roy.

tsb":88hocin9 said:
Reply to brianhabby re someone should put a woodworking show on at the NEC. There is the woodmex show in Oct at the NEC. Have a look at their website-- I think you might be impressed with the list of exhibitors. Doesn't look like any carboot type stands will be there and its FREE to enter if you pre register

I'll check that out tsb

Losos":88hocin9 said:
brianhabby":88hocin9 said:
regards
Brian

Brian, it is rumoured that Axminster might be doing their show again this year (Having missed last year) so that would be easier for you, drive to Swansea and get on M4 / M5 doing the NEC would be all cross country for you wouldn't it :?:

Hi Losos,

Drive to Swansea - from Colwyn Bay :roll: would probably take me about 5 hours...!

If I went to the NEC it would be via the M6

Isn't Axminster's show at their head office address, which is even further than London?

regards

brian

I just went to the main site for Woodmex, which is apparently called W8 this year.

Anyway, I can't find out how to register for the show, registration on the website just seems to be for their email newsletter and I already get far too many of those.

regards

brian

Latest posts

Back