Allen Socket Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For free .....:mad:

and pleonasms like "reduce down" and "close proximity"
Every day's a school day - I've previously called such phrases 'Tautology' - other examples "Sahara Desert", "Yellow Jaundice"

I wouldn't concider "For Free" to be either though - poor/uncomfortable phrasing yes, but not actually a tautology/pleonasm

I thought Allen heads/keys etc were like Hoovers. I'm going to 'hoover' the floor with the Dyson/Samsung/etc. Allen was a trade name, widely used these days and everyone knows what you mean but really they are hex socket screws, unless of course they were hand crafted by Mr Allen himself. (Don't get me started on Trellis or I will have to mislead you.)
Some years back my dear old uncle and I had the hoover/vacuum discussion. He was quite vociferous about it actually, insisting that I was VACUUMING up all the mess I'd made when doing some work for him.

I retorted that the box with a collection of self-tapping screws in should actually be labelled as "Self-tappers" and not "P-Ks". He grumpily conceded that Parker Kaylon was, in fact, a superior BRAND of self-tapping screws, and the box was labelled incorrectly.

I am now the owner of said box, and will continue to refer to self-tapping screws as PKs in remembrance of him (also, the box is labelled in indelible ink!)

Every day's a school day - I've previously called such phrases 'Tautology' - other examples "Sahara Desert", "Yellow Jaundice"

I wouldn't concider "For Free" to be either though - poor/uncomfortable phrasing yes, but not actually a tautology/pleonasm
That's why I separated "for free" from the other two (only there because it infuriates me). Tautology is saying the same thing twice (as per your examples) which of course could also be a pleonasm, but pleonasms are not necessarlily tautologies just unnecessary words - reduce down? you can't reduce up. You can't be in distant proximity.

You could drive yourself round the bend by worrying about things such as "for free", "reduce down" etc. I try to ignore that sort of thing these days. You won't stop the evolution of language, and most other people will think you're a pedantic old f@rt.
I will, however, continue to use "ize" from time to time, just to annoy those who wrongly assert it's American.

You could drive yourself round the bend by worrying about things such as "for free", "reduce down" etc. I try to ignore that sort of thing these days. You won't stop the evolution of language, and most other people will think you're a pedantic old f@rt.
I will, however, continue to use "ize" from time to time, just to annoy those who wrongly assert it's American.
I'm proud to be considered "a pedantic old f@rt." - I also use '...ize' because it is the correct English spelling :D

Likewise commonplace place is AC, or DC current which does my head in.... mind you direct current voltage just sounds daft !!

Totally agree. The phrase “Jam Packed” has been around for many decades until it was reported on the news some years ago about passengers on a train “Ram Packed” 😆
For a large part of my career I worked at Reuters, albeit on the IT side however they had a style guide given out to all employees regarding the correct use of English, and words to avoid that could be Internationally misconstrued.
A few spring to mind -
decimated - to reduce by one tenth
pants - American English for trousers
Likewise opposites -
pavement - road in American English
etc...

When working with our friends across the pond, I had reason to send a message through their network to the UK. In the message I included "Whilst". This baffled them as "It is not in Websters"! I asured them that the recipient would understand, so leave it in.

When working with our friends across the pond, I had reason to send a message through their network to the UK. In the message I included "Whilst". This baffled them as "It is not in Websters"! I asured them that the recipient would understand, so leave it in.
What? It's not amongst the words in Webster's? :)

Don't have a current Webster's (actually never have had a Webster's, I have the door stop edition of the OED), This was in 1974-5 and their quote at the time.

I can remember someone had written in my stepdaughter's yearbook, "the word gullable is not in the dictionary". I never decided if they were illiterate, or trying to be amusing. Both, maybe.

Latest posts

Back