Alignment problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I seem to have a vertical misalignment between the head/tail points on my lathe (Record CL1) - head is lower than tail - which causes discernable problems while trying to turn spindle blanks to cylinders. I'm using the Record lathe bench. The misalignment is at its worst (1mm) at the left end of the bench. If I move the head and tail to the other end of the bench the alignment is out less - about 0.5mm. I was wondering whether I'd done some damage to the bearings on the headstock from overtightening, or whether the bench bars are not aligned properly. I don't do that much turning so I'm don't yet have the expertise in sorting out these sorts of problems.
If anyone could suggest a course of action for me to identify the problem and hopefully sort it out it would be a real help.
Many thanks, Edmund

I would be tempted to dissassemble the lathe Edmund and then carefully reassemble step by step, making sure all the mating surfaces are clean with no bits of flashing or bumps of paint in the way (file them off if there is).

One other thing to be aware of is that the claming pieces that sit on the top of the bars at either end, and the same type of pieces that go underneath the headstock, tailstock and banjo, are designed to fit only one way round.

Each of these clamping pieces, if I recall correctly, has two little raised lugs on one end of the clamping surface, and one little raised lug on the other end. This is significant as they should all be used the same way round, only I can't remember whether it is the two lugs towards you when standing at the lathe or the other way round ! :oops:

It's a while since I got rid of my CL3 so can't check unfortunately, but worth looking at the assembly instructions or perhaps try the Record website.

If not done correctly this just might give some small misalignment as you are experiencing, but more likely some flashing or excess paint somewhere, or the stand not being proprely aligned to start with.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Thanks Paul. I'll have another check - I found the original assembly instructions quite hard to follow, but there is a page on the Record website which is easier to follow.

i had the same problem with my cl1 and found out that it was only thickness of the paint.
i took the lathe apart and every surface that came in contact with the bed bars was hand sanded back to the metal .
every thing on my lathe is now true and slides along the bed bars with ease.

Latest posts

Back