Alcove Wardrobe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPB

Established Member
Reaction score
HI all,

I’m currently attempting to construct a built in wardrobe, and would welcome some advice/opinions. (I have done a search and read several threads but couldn’t quite find what I was after).

Anyway, I’ve got as far as fixing the timber frame to walls which slope in all directions, giving an opening 1260 wide x 2180 high.

Eventually I want to be able to open the wardrobe full width (so no sliding doors) but can’t decide whether to use 3 doors, (1 single and two bi-fold) or 2 doors.

My original reasoning for having 3 doors was the restricted gap between the bed and wardrobe, plus full height narrow doors seem to be the in thing at the moment. However, I could just about get away with 2 doors which would be less work to make and easier to hang.

The doors will be inset, made from 25-28 thick timber, with 9mm MDF panels top and bottom, and with a painted finish.

Questions:

1. How many doors would you recommend, and what width would you make the rails and stiles?

2. I was planning on using 4 inset euro hinges each side, but got baffled looking through various sites as to which ones would be best for 25-28mm thick inset doors. Could anyone with experience of these types of hinges point me at a recommended make and serial number, and do I need to buy mounting plates?

3. If I use three doors, would you recommend fitting the bi-fold with piano hinge to keep the edges in line?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Graham

I'd stick to two doors if at all possible. The load on the main hinge with bifold is huge.
How about 80mm stiles? that would give 470mm panels.

Most if not all inset hinges will work but the thicker the doors will need a little extra gap between frame and stile.
Rounding the edges will allow this gap to be reduced. That roundover could be part of a decorative bead on the doors maybe?

Buy a couple of hinges first and play with a mock up to start with.

hth

Bob

If it were mine, I'd use a two door layout on cranked concealed hinges; 22mm MRMDF for the rails & stiles with a 9mm panel. I think I might also be tempted to split the doors height-wise into a ~1700/480 config. as 2180 is pretty tall & skinny, even at 630mm wide. Depends on the overall design and layout, obviously, but it can look better than a pair of tall doors in some situations - draw it out and see what you think.

HTH Pete

The new Blums with integrated Blumotion come with an option for thicker doors or the Grass ones will work better with thick doors.

If you are limited with swing due to the bed I would go with 3 doors but put one extra vertical post in so they can all be hung as single doors, if you do go for bifold then get a set of bifold door gear.

Jason

For something built-in, I'd also suggest that you consider what other doors will be visible at the same time. So, if yours is a Victorian house, you might be best off making panelled doors in similar proportions to the room doors, or at least having rails at the same heights. If it's a modern house with flush panel doors, then similar flush doors could be best.

Hi, I tend to use hinges from Hafele, I've found from experience these work well with doors 25mm thick whilst keepng a a sensible hinge gap (2-3mm). For inset doors 15mm cranked hinges will of course be needed and from memory I think a 4mm mounting plate.

I would avoid a bifold door it is likely you will end up with a twist which will show on the closing side. You could of course split the wardrobe with a dividing jamb at one third along so you can fit 1 single door and then a pair of doors. There no need to divide the actual cabinet so storage space can be the same.

I tend to stick to 70 or 80mm stiles, top and bottom rails and a 150mm mid rail set about 1/3 up.

Robin

How about using two pairs of bi-fold doors that will reduce the strain on the primary hinges? and be in keeping with the tall and narrow theme.

Back