Ajax No1 Milling Machine Spares.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peri

Established Member
Reaction score
At work we have an Ajax No1 combination milling machine.
It's an old beast, capable of being configured in either a horizontal or vertical modes.

20221209_150738.jpg

As far as anyone can remember it's been set up as a horizontal miller. We'd like to convert it back to a vertical machine, but somewhere in time one of the components has been lost.

We need the splined drive arbor.

20221209_150901.jpg

I've been in touch with Ajax, but they no longer support that machine, and they were kind enough to give me the number of an engineering firm that might help.
I called them but the guy told me they couldn't help, and it's been impossible to buy anything for that machine for at least 30 years! They couldn't even make one from scratch without proper drawings, which they don't have.

Don't suppose anyone's got one in a garage cupboard by any chance? :D
Failing that lottery win of good fortune, does anyone know where we could get one from, or some engineering drawings?

Thanks.

I would email every used machinery dealer I could find on google - theres a lot of them out there, its the kind of thing that would hopefully get saved when machines get scrapped.

The part you are missing has a male spline on it. It will engage with a female spline of the same specification in the vertical head.

Dismantle the vertical head, extract the female spline and reverse engineer the male from that.

Find a sympathetic engineering company and it will likely be cheaper to re-engineer the whole drive system (male and female part) than to make a custom male spline.

Back