Airbrushing Dust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I'm progressing to projects that involve hollowing out, I'm wondering if a blast from an airbrush would be capale of blowing out dust? I don't own a compressor and don't really have the space for a bulky one.

You could try a can of compressed air, like is used to blast crumbs out of computer keyboards.

Use a vacuum

this..

you don't want fine dust being blown about in the air, at least get an air extractor fan unit one that removes the finest dust from the air, much better though to just suck up the dust.

I'm not going to get a vacuum hose in the small hollow forms I'm turrning!I've watched countless turning videos on youtube in past six months or so and can't recall a single turner using a vac!

I made a narrow vacuum hose the other day for cleaning out my table saw: a bit of 16mm irrigation pipe and a lot of gaffer tape around the end of the vacuum hose. It won't win awards for beauty, but it did the trick. For something really skinny I could see the need for an intermediate size pipe, or just extra gaffer tape. I'm definitely an "extra gaffer tape" person myself, but some people like to do jobs thoroughly.

If you blow the dust out it hangs in the air and you breath it in , Very bad for your lungs , I have yet to see replacment lungs for sale ?
You don't need to get inside the hole , If you put the vac end 3/4 of the way across the hole it will pull put the dust , If you cover the hole compleatly it will not get the dust out just cause a compleat vacuum

If you blow the dust out it hangs in the air and you breath it in , Very bad for your lungs , I have yet to see replacment lungs for sale ?
You don't need to get inside the hole , If you put the vac end 3/4 of the way across the hole it will pull put the dust , If you cover the hole compleatly it will not get the dust out just cause a compleat vacuum
That's fine but not the question I asked. Anyone know or not?

Not sure what you mean by airbrush but what about a bicycle/foot pump if you need a bit more oomph?

I don't think an airbrush would give you sufficient airflow for blowing out the shavings (if all you get is dust, you need a better hollowing tool!) from a hollow form. It can be done with a larger compressor and a lance but as others have pointed out, isn't ideal because it puts more dust into the air. I use an old wire coat hanger with a bent loop on the end to drag the shavings out.

Now I'm progressing to projects that involve hollowing out, I'm wondering if a blast from an airbrush would be capale of blowing out dust? I don't own a compressor and don't really have the space for a bulky one.

I have an airbrush compressor and a bigger 50 litre compressor.....I use the airbrush for 90% of my work and it's super silent. It naturally doesn't have much air storage so for blowing it runs out of air quickly BUT has the same amount of pressure as its bigger super noisy brother.

Last edited:
For small to medium work, I could not live without my rocket blower Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blower | Wex Photo Video

I dont have the space for a compressor and dont need the noise.

Do they have that much puff?

I have an airbrush compressor and a bigger 50 litre compressor.....I use the airbrush for 90% of my work and it's super silent. It naturally doesn't have much air storage so for blowing it runs out of air quickly BUT has the same amount of pressure as its bigger super noisy brother.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I really haven't the space for a larger compressor and the smaller footprint of a airbrush set up would not only be easier to accomodate but also useful fo finishing pruposes.

Latest posts

Back