Air pumps/air wedges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamonn

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy an air pump/wedge. I fit hardware on doors, handles, etc... and will mostly need it to hold doors and cavity sliders. Occasionally I will need it for removing doors, so would want a heavy duty one for sure.

What experience do people have with air wedges and what would they recommend. My work has given me 2 of the same model and both have failed at the same place, (the little air intake/valve on the rubber pump) ... so just want to buy the best possible and be done with it.

I think my 2 work air pumps failed because different air pumps have different pressure limits, (light-heavy duty) and I'm guessing the two I was given from work were light duty ones.

Anyway, all input is welcome.

How have they failed? I have one which I'd written off as bust, as it wouldn't stay inflated, until I discovered how to dismantle the valve. Once I removed the saw dust/shaving which had worked it's way inside it's as good as new. I can post a walkthrough if it's useful.

It's a Winbag, IIRC the original manufacturer on which most of the others are based.

I have a couple of the original winbags from when they first appeared in the UK.
I haven't used them a lot as I only do DIY, but I did use the pair to lift one end of a 60Kg appliance so about 15Kg apiece which they did without issue.

It failed on the air intake valve on the actual rubber pump part, (the part you actually press to inflate).

I put both pumps in water and there was air bubbles coming from the valve. The actual bags were fine. Both times they failed after heavy duty use, a fire door and me using one for the first time and over inflating it. This led me to believe the ones from work are light duty ones, ie... don't go above 100kgs pressure.

But please post the walk through anyway as it might come in handy for me in the future or someone looking now.

I have a couple of the original winbags from when they first appeared in the UK.
I haven't used them a lot as I only do DIY, but I did use the pair to lift one end of a 60Kg appliance so about 15Kg apiece which they did without issue.
Sometimes I could be lifting doors (at a guess) 100-150kgs. The last one failed when the whole edge of a 70mm oak door was on the bag.

Thanks, I will look into the original "winbags" as until I started working in this new job, I had never used air wedges.

Last edited:
Given the size of these little bags, you could be exposing them to maybe 20 to 30 psi if you rock the whole weight of one of those big doors onto just one bag. My guess is that it would be pretty hard to make that sort of pressure by squeezing on the rubber bulb so yeah, you must be using them near the limits of what they can do.

And yes. Apparantly the winbag is rated 135kg max.

Edit: and for what it's worth, I'm 86kg and there was no complaint when I stood on one ...

Last edited:
Given the size of these little bags, you could be exposing them to maybe 20 to 30 psi if you rock the whole weight of one of those big doors onto just one bag. My guess is that it would be pretty hard to make that sort of pressure by squeezing on the rubber bulb so yeah, you must be using them near the limits of what they can do.

And yes. Apparantly the winbag is rated 135kg max.
Would you say winbag is the best/heavy "dutyest" brand out there... or is there better? Do other brands come with higher ratings.

Don't forget the ratings only apply to 25mm of lift, and the entire width off the bag must be in contact with the material. If you go beyond this the actual working capacity drops of a cliff, as soon as the bag starts to over inflate, good chance you blow the valve seals.

If you already knew this, then I apologise trying to teach you to suck eggs.
But I've seen so many tossed in the bin after an over enthusiastic user with a car compressor wrecks them trying to gain as much height as the bag can get, only to hear the inevitable hiss from the valve, followed by cursing at how useless the air wedges are, not realising the wedge is an inanimate object and its user error.......

I have two of the "original" and also some from Lidl, all are still working but I have never stressed them. It might be as well to use wedges to get aheavy door in the approximate position before using the air bags to fine tune. I have used them for all sorts of "odd jobs" such as lifting a washing machine so as to be able to adjust the feet, and then window frames etc.

If I'm understanding what you're trying to do Robin Clevett had some clever "mechanical jacks" for fitting doors on a recent YT video - looked a lot better/more stable than airbags

Another option that seems to do the same job is the upside-down mastic gun type jacks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saving-15inch-Regulator-Lifting-Cabinet/dp/B09HC1K39H
(comforting to know it is made of material and not aether)

The issue is that you have to bend down to operate them and lowering is not controllable.

I do not know who made the original or a reliable brand offering the same thing.

The point about "air bags" is that they have so many uses. If you are constantly fitting doors then mechanical lifting devices are worth while. The air bags allow very precise positioning for other things such as window frames. On one house we had 26 windows to sit in place, these air bags were a godsend. As they exert pressure it allows you time to check all planes are plumb or level. As always "horses for courses".

I will try this brand first... https://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Strong...nflatable/dp/B07751F8Y3?tag=carsupercare01-20 ...

I don't be taking doors off much, mostly just chipping out for the hardware, so will be using it as clamp more than anything. They are really great for holing cavity sliders. The failures I've experienced was with one brand so maybe there's nothing to worry about... It's always best to ask others and get their thoughts on things though.

Back