air powered car

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Digit, but all air engines do not have to have 'fuel' injected into them. There are loads of small model aero engines that run on compressed air alone. This one uses CO2, but just a compressed, non flam gas...

http://www.animatedengines.com/co2.shtml

I also realise that you say infernal combustion engines and that this is different, but it is what the OP was talking of, just on a smaller scale..

I don't know which category the Mk 9 ** torpedo engine belongs in!

it was a 4 cylinder, radially opposed engine that was powered with burning shale oil. (Cylinders were about 5" diameter.)
Combustion didn't take place inside the cylinders, through compression, nor was it ignited inside the cylinders.
The fuel and compressed air were mixed, and were fed into an 'induction ring' which positioned all around the engine. The burning fuel/air mix was fed into the cylinders via 'poppet valves' (very similar to the ordinary valves on a car engine.)

For the first 25 yards of it's run, the torpedo was powered with compressed air, so it would be clear of the ship when ignition took place. (Risk of explosion of course) Although I never saw one explode through engine fault. A paddle paddle wheel built into the casing was rotated by water passage, which in turn released the pin to fire the three ignitors.

The guts of these torpedoes were nick-named a 'plumber's nightmare', but the way in which everything ran, was a marvel of ingenious invention.

Hope that didn't bore anyone. Just thought it might be of interest.

john :mrgreen:

Hope that didn't bore anyone.

Quite the opposite, I stayed up far to late last night reading all about engines on that website and now you've got me itching to go and find out about another design.... must resist.... must work. :lol:

Back