Air nailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mate went in the other day picked one up in a box, said
it was heavy (good sign?).I'll have to go have a look at one. :)

This discussion seems a bit heated, but I will chip in my two-pennorth anyway. I bought a "cheapo" Silverline framing nailer a couple of years ago, and have used it for various jobs since, most notably to build a garden gym (about 3m x 3.6m). I used the largest size nails for the framing and 60mm (I think) for the cladding. It has never jammed, neither has it exploded or spontaneously shot a nail through my head.

Like all tools, what you get if you pay more is probably a more robust job that will still be going years after the cheaper tool has packed up. If you are not building roofs or barns for a living, I am sure that a cheaper gun is fine.

I don't know for a fact, but I bet that most nail gun accidents are caused by carelessness or fooling about and very few are caused by the gun itself failing - what is likely to go wrong, other than a jam ?

Regards Colin (ducking below the parapet)

Sonic":3qyll91s said:
This discussion seems a bit heated,
Nah, not really. barely warm I'd say. :D

I don't know for a fact, but I bet that most nail gun accidents are caused by carelessness or fooling about and very few are caused by the gun itself failing - what is likely to go wrong, other than a jam ?
Quite so

Regards Colin (ducking below the parapet)
Oi you, yes you behind that parapet. :lol:

Sonic":2xt9h9vm said:

At last a sensible comment.

MDF_HAKKA":2xt9h9vm said:
Framing nail (no matter what make or cost) in eye = probable loss of eye
Brad nail (no matter what make or cost) in eye = probable loss of eye.

and another !!

Its a wonder there havnt been any capitals used yet :roll:

As for firing a framing nailer any compressor capable of reaching 110psi will have enough power to burry the nail, regardless of size, the smaller the tank the more it will recharge. This wont effect the power, as long as you let it recharge fully each time.
Gary.

Blimey!

I wouldn't have thought that a debate on a brad naylor could get so heated!

I have been using for the past five years a compressor and gun combo from B&Q that cost me £89.00. It's bloody fantastic!

I've also got a big Porter Cable 16 guage nail gun that fires 60mm nails - the B&Q compressor works it just fine.

I also know which fastener I'd rather shoot into my finger!!

Cheers
Dan

It seems to have quietened down here so I'll throw in another one... :twisted:

Can you ring up the ebay sellers / anonymous Chinese technical dept for advice on the tool?

And would you trust it if you could?

Latest posts

Back