Air line and connector advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took delivery of a Hyundai 24l compressor and have ordered a silverline 18g air nailer but am confused about the air lines and connections that go between. Euro connectors/ 1/4 inch etc.... Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

1/4” BSP is a screw fitting and in all likelihood the only screw fitting you need be concerned with, 1/8” is mostly airbrushes and 1/2” for flow rates well above that of most domestic users.

Euro connectors, also known as PCL XF, are quick release fittings, that is they're simple push on/pull off things. They look like a shorter version of PCL standard fittings which work in much the same way, the two are not interoperable. PCL (standard) is more widely used here in the UK at least, Euro connectors are slightly larger bore.

From memory the Hyundai compressors come prefitted with Euro connectors. Your nailer probably has a 1/4” screw thread and quite possibly comes with a PCL standard adapter in the box. I'd be tempted to swap that for a Euro adapter (cost a couple of quid or so) to match your compressor and standardise on Euro fittings all round. A bit of PTFE tape on the screw threads before tightening it up is a good idea to help sealing.

However this is to be honest educated guesswork. You can check up the specifics of your tools to get prepared in advance, but if you're not in any particular hurry my inclination would be to hand on for the nailer to arrive before taking it and the compressor manual to your local Machine Mart or similar. They'll be able to identify the couplings at a glance and fix you with a suitable hose and adapter there and then.

1/4” BSP is a screw fitting and in all likelihood the only screw fitting you need be concerned with, 1/8” is mostly airbrushes and 1/2” for flow rates well above that of most domestic users.

Euro connectors, also known as PCL XF, are quick release fittings, that is they're simple push on/pull off things. They look like a shorter version of PCL standard fittings which work in much the same way, the two are not interoperable. PCL (standard) is more widely used here in the UK at least, Euro connectors are slightly larger bore.

From memory the Hyundai compressors come prefitted with Euro connectors. Your nailer probably has a 1/4” screw thread and quite possibly comes with a PCL standard adapter in the box. I'd be tempted to swap that for a Euro adapter (cost a couple of quid or so) to match your compressor and standardise on Euro fittings all round. A bit of PTFE tape on the screw threads before tightening it up is a good idea to help sealing.

However this is to be honest educated guesswork. You can check up the specifics of your tools to get prepared in advance, but if you're not in any particular hurry my inclination would be to hand on for the nailer to arrive before taking it and the compressor manual to your local Machine Mart or similar. They'll be able to identify the couplings at a glance and fix you with a suitable hose and adapter there and then.

Thank you @ajs for the time you took for such a detailed reply. 35 miles to the nearest Machine Mart but found a place in Yeovil that looks like a good source.

I used to buy Swedish high volume air line fittings.....
but after years n years of prof use they finally gave up......I hate leaking fittings.....
Having retired and not having a proper income looked around for something cheaper.....

Needing some rather quickly for a small job, they were available in Lidil, thought that if they were rubbish at that price after the job I'd bin em.....
well, years later the whole air-line system I use is made up from Lidil's own......
Note, the male part of the union is hardened steel suprisingly so long lasting......
They fit well into each other, do not leak, HIGH flow.....and cheap enough to have some spares on a shelf......
As an add,
Lidil also do a small retaractable air-line reel.....think 15m long....I just use it for inflating tyres.....it's only 6mm bore, keeps the air-line off the floor....
well worth buying at 26euro's.....
there is also a 6mm bore rubberised air-line available....good qual.....suitable for tyres and nailer/staple guns.....
all perfectly good for semi-pro use.....

Dont bother with the old Shreider air line fittings....they dont pass enough air.....times have moved on luckily.......

I like the high flow PCL XF fittings too. Check around for prices as it varies quite a bit. Try cotswold engineering supplies.
Always go mental on the PTFE, get a big roll of the 10mm i/d rubber tube and make up whatever you need from that, I personally dislike the coiled skinny type that attach themselves to anything nearby to them.

Ollie

Yes, Hyundai has euro fittings.
I changed all my (machinemart) tools over, using a 'kit' from Amazon. Quite happy with the euro connectors. Worth investigating the int dimension of the air pipe / connector capacity with respect to the tools you intend to use though.

Thank you all for your kind advice. Now resolved with PCL XF fittings. Not sure why Hyundai supply two pretty useless hose connectors (ie male connectors, that fit into an unconnected hose), but there you go. Thanks again

Back