age limit.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hiya all. does anyone know the age limits for using machines . not private, in a businesss such as apprentices.

used to be 18 for most of them has this changed??

That's a good question Lugo, for you see, my sons have both used a bandsaw and lathe at school under supervision of course, and they have both used machinery in MY workshop, under supervision, neither is yet 18, but both are competent, so it's a case of... when are you old enough to ride a bike on the main road for instance, I don't know how I stand with the law on this but surely, common sense must prevail.

Regards,

Rich.

Lugo - I suspect your insurance company can answer this. In general (with a few exceptions) you can't pay someone to work until after they are 16, so that would probably be the cutoff. I know that companies taking on work experience placements (aged less than 16) have to have specific insurance and to demonstrate that they meet health and safety requirements. There may well be different rules for some machines, in which case the HSE should know.

I remember reading on the HSE website (please correct me if my memories wrong)......

Obviously insurance is nessecary, but if the correct insurance is there then these are the rules I think.

16-18 yr olds once trained can use machinery that does not have any exposed cutters or moving bladess...... without the need for supervision.
16-18 yr olds can use machines with exposed cutters/ moving blades under supervision. This supervision would have to be more or less watching every move.

18+ yrs old can use all machines. Regardless of age, paperwork should be drawn up saying what the person can and can't use, and if they can use a machine, what tasks they are competent to do on that machine. Signed & dated by the trainee and the trainer.

Regardless of how old or experienced anyone is, everyone in the workshop should have the paperwork saying what machines they are competent to use.

Rich":3tfllgf0 said:
That's a good question Lugo, for you see, my sons have both used a bandsaw and lathe at school under supervision of course, and they have both used machinery in MY workshop, under supervision, neither is yet 18, but both are competent, so it's a case of... when are you old enough to ride a bike on the main road for instance, I don't know how I stand with the law on this but surely, common sense must prevail.

Regards,

Rich.

Hi Rich, well as you may have detected in some of my past writings I don't have much faith in the law and especially not in the people who practice it. To say 'common sense must prevail' is a no brainer but who in the legal proffession has a brain these days :?:

I have no problem with your sons using your equipment but I would suggest you tell them never to mention it outside the home, not even to their freinds :roll:

Joiner Sim is correct here

Someone under 16 is a child ( in law) and cannot use such machines no matter how competent, without close supervision.
It stems from the old factories act & "rotating shafts".

16-18 ( is a young person) whilst under supervision until deemed competent, then Risk Assessment of competence level (much as is everyone) but often taking into account their "maturity". There are a few machines ( not woodwork) you cannot use under 18 - like power presses etc

Rich,

I'm with you all the way!

Both of my lads were encouraged to use all my kit from a very early age.
It was always locked up when I wasn't around but I'd let them do much as they pleased and I'd supervise from a distance. SWMBO played hell with me if the cut themselves etc but how else do you learn?

The youngest (now 24) was complimented numerous times on his workshop hand skills whilst at university. He told me he had not realised, until he was with his peers, how much I'd taught him.

My Neighbour's 12 year old is currently using my lathe for a school project and enjoying himself immensely. I hope he is unaware how closely he is being supervised.

I'm with you as well Rich, there seems to be so may rules / laws which have been placed to restrict the use of machines in any trade. Most seem to be as clear as ditch water to a lot of us. I remember when I was about 9 ish, I asked my dad if I could turn some wood on the lathe. He wasn't too keen, but said " yes if your careful ". Well I still have all my fingers and I look back now and I am glad that I had the chance to learn hands on as they say.
Since Brown became priminister there have been over 2,000 new laws passed through parliament. What for and why, who knows. Some of you may have found how complicated form filling has become, and the amount that has to be filled in. It is not going to get any easier or less complicated.

Malc,

The Health & Safety at Work act is what it says on the tin - only at work.
What you & I do at home is no-ones business in this respect.

Although should your child get hurt the Social services might be asking questions.

Also believe it or not there are less H&S regulations now than at any time in the last 50 years.

Most of the rubbish you hear about is dreamed up by the Sun & Daily Mail & ambulance chasing lawyers.

it all comes down to , its fine untill you have an accident.

i grew up on a farm and used to drive a tractor, use chain saw amongst other things .(not together) hse would have had a heart attack.

some of the things we used to do would get locked up 2day.

anyway seems you cant do anything unless your supivised.
:?

This is not intended to affront anyone, so hopefully they won't take umbrage.
I agree with most of what has been said about early starting.
I take it further.
I first had a gun put in my hands at age eleven and used one only under close supervision for many years, I was also taught how to clean and maintain it.
Fast forward a few years, my son was an avid viewer of the 'A Team', the programme used to drive me crazy 'cos my son saw firearms that were great for shooting up car tyres but nobody ever got hurt!
Aged eleven I let him fire a 0.38 calibre shot gun, the damage it did to a sheet of MDF amazed him.

Roy.

when i was a 17 year old which was a long time ago :cry: i was told when you stop cutting your self with hand tools you can have the use of the power tools got a few scars but still have all my fingers common sense really dave

Latest posts

Back