Advice requested on a thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luddite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

As I am a retired chippie but I still like to play in my workshop at home.

I made the mistake of buying a Titan thicknesser/planer which shed a belt and has become very noisy just lately.

I would like advice on the cheaper end models of thicknesser's such as:
Scheppach PLM1800.
Excel - 330mm Planer.
SIP 01557 8x5" etc etc

With what I do there is no point in paying £500 plus for De Walt or Makita just to mess around

Appreciate your thoughts

Don't buy De Walt
Overpriced and TOO noisy

As always, if you seek assistance, it would be helpful to know what you want to do with it.
Hardwood, softwood, regular or occasional use ?
The better the question, the better the answer

Mainly softwoods, and as it says I am retired so light use really

The cheaper end ones will suffice because of this, hence asking advice on ones such as these:

Excel
Lumberjack
Draper
Triton
Metabo etc
Don't buy De Walt
Overpriced and TOO noisy

As always, if you seek assistance, it would be helpful to know what you want to do with it.
Hardwood, softwood, regular or occasional use ?
The better the question, the better the answer

Why are you answering like that?
If I had made my mind up I would not be asking.

I listed about 5 models and asked for opinion, I really do not see why you have managed to totally misunderstand the question.

Looks like you have already made up your mind, so why ask the question ?
Are you looking for justification ?
Buy decent, buy once, buy wisely.
Just remember, you get what you pay for.

The cheaper end ones will suffice because of this, hence asking advice on ones such as these:
It really depends upon your expectations, the ones you list are all in the same league except the SIP is also a planer. Personally it really depends what you are seeking to do and what you are willing to accept, for me rather than fight with a cheap machine trying to achieve something I know it will not deliver I would buy my wood ready prepared from a timber supplier. I use a PT107 from Record and have had to spend nigh on an Excel 330mm Planer to get it cutting properly so putting things in perspective you may not achieve your goals with any of these machines.

The dewalt might be more expensive and it is noisy but it would deliver results, it gets some very good reviews but don't overlook the Triton,

Triton TPT125 317mm Electric Planer Thicknesser 240V

https://tooladvice.co.uk/triton-tpt125-thicknesser-review/

Looks like you have already made up your mind, so why ask the question ?
Are you looking for justification ?
Buy decent, buy once, buy wisely.
Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Calm the old jets S-9, poor man is only looking for advice.
: )

Second hand is the best way.
Metabo, Scheppach hms260, Kity, or the small Record one can be found at decent prices.
Make sure it's cast iron.

Ollie

I've had Metabo DH330 thicknesser and while I'm happy with the performance, I can't say it is quiet. Recently I bought a larger p/t with an induction motor and I can have a phone conversation right beside it. As far as I know, none of the benchtop thicknessers with dc motors will be quiet but from your list, I would go with Metabo (don't know much about SIP though).

Thank you.

Yeah, as in original post I am retired carpenter who just play's now.
I do, as mentioned have the she-ite Titan ttb579 so if I do not want to square up by hand I can use that.

I want to make a few boxes to replace decent products with rubbish plastic cases for example.

But what I really want to do at the moment is make myself another cue case my
It really depends upon your expectations, the ones you list are all in the same league except the SIP is also a planer. Personally it really depends what you are seeking to do and what you are willing to accept, for me rather than fight with a cheap machine trying to achieve something I know it will not deliver I would buy my wood ready prepared from a timber supplier. I use a PT107 from Record and have had to spend nigh on an Excel 330mm Planer to get it cutting properly so putting things in perspective you may not achieve your goals with any of these machines.

The dewalt might be more expensive and it is noisy but it would deliver results, it gets some very good reviews but don't overlook the Triton,

Triton TPT125 317mm Electric Planer Thicknesser 240V

https://tooladvice.co.uk/triton-tpt125-thicknesser-review/

I've had Metabo DH330 thicknesser and while I'm happy with the performance, I can't say it is quiet. Recently I bought a larger p/t with an induction motor and I can have a phone conversation right beside it. As far as I know, none of the benchtop thicknessers with dc motors will be quiet but from your list, I would go with Metabo (don't know much about SIP though).
Thanks Ollie & Loc0

appreciate your help

The Metabo new is £375, for a little bit more money you can probably find a second hand Metabo HC260 or equivalent which is a lot more machine. There's one on Ebay right now for £400 buy it now if you fancy a trip to Newcastle

I’d spend a bit more and buy a secondhand Sedgwick PT255. When you come to sell it / pass it on, it will have increased in value, all the other options in all likelihood will decrease in value / not give you the same quality of finish. They are built to last generations, and a good investment against the rampant inflation we are now experiencing.

Sorry can’t help re the machines you mentioned but Might be worth putting a wanted add for a used machine if it suits you
or look on FB market place or eBay set up a saved search and they will ping up when added

I was lucky enough to buy two from the for sale section and more than happy with them

The Metabo new is £375, for a little bit more money you can probably find a second hand Metabo HC260 or equivalent which is a lot more machine. There's one on Ebay right now for £400 buy it now if you fancy a trip to Newcastle
Metabo HC260 is now new anywhere between £600+ to £1000+, depending how greedy the sellers are. Mine cost me new about 5 or 6 years ago, a shade under £500. Actually Mr Lloyd bought it me out of a PPI pay-out!

Sorry can’t help re the machines you mentioned but Might be worth putting a wanted add for a used machine if it suits you
or look on FB market place or eBay set up a saved search and they will ping up when added

I was lucky enough to buy two from the for sale section and more than happy with them
Thanks, good suggestion

Thanks, good suggestion
I'll second that, definitely keep an eye out on FB market place and fleabay, it can take a long time to find the right machine at the right price in the right location. I almost broke and bought the titan, but I really wanted something like the Triton letterbox (TP125?) . I got lucky on FB with a scheppach plm1800 for £190, and it was the wider model so patience is very much worth it.

First couple of runs seem good with no noticeable snipe so I'm pleased with that model.....still have to think about 'fessing to the boss about another purchase😂 but the bedside tables I'll be making will be better for the use of the thicknesser.

Good luck in your search! 👍

Thank you

Seen new Dewalt's for £80 & £100 (SCAMMERS) FB shouyld sort these r soles out.
Found 2 vevors (one 195 used) 1 posted last night cheaper but possibly another scam.

Blades seem impossible to buy Vevor replied with the following:
Sorry we do not currently sell extra parts separately. But we have a one-year warranty and can provide accessories if needed.

So parts ONLY available IF you purchase the unit itself from them, shocking
I'll second that, definitely keep an eye out on FB market place and fleabay, it can take a long time to find the right machine at the right price in the right location. I almost broke and bought the titan, but I really wanted something like the Triton letterbox (TP125?) . I got lucky on FB with a scheppach plm1800 for £190, and it was the wider model so patience is very much worth it.

First couple of runs seem good with no noticeable snipe so I'm pleased with that model.....still have to think about 'fessing to the boss about another purchase😂 but the bedside tables I'll be making will be better for the use of the thicknesser.

Good luck in your search! 👍

I've got the Lumberjack and it seems ok, I've got nothing to compare it with. I'm in Dudley, if you want to run over and take a look at in action, let me know, we can run a few pieces through and see what you think. you can usually find a discount code for lumberjack, maybe save a bit.
This is the one I have Lumberjack Portable Bench Top Thicknesser330mm | Planers & Thicknesse

Thanks

will consider your offer, also sometimes there are used ones, so will keep an eye out
I've got the Lumberjack and it seems ok, I've got nothing to compare it with. I'm in Dudley, if you want to run over and take a look at in action, let me know, we can run a few pieces through and see what you think. you can usually find a discount code for lumberjack, maybe save a bit.
This is the one I have Lumberjack Portable Bench Top Thicknesser330mm | Planers & Thicknesse

Latest posts

Back