advice req'd - reducing table height

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d c

Reaction score
hi i have an oak dining table that measures 31" high which feels to high and not comfortable to eat at so i want to reduce the height by cutting the legs down. the legs are solid and approx 3" square and removable. my chop saw will not do the cut in one go and i think the blade may be to coarse and cause splintering. i am thinking about using a marking knife and then a chisel to define a clean line on all four sides and then do the cut with a tenon saw, would this be acceptable for a clean finish? or could i cut part way through the four sides and complete the cut with the chop saw by turning the leg to get the depth of cut? also would i need to seal the fresh cut.
thanks
danny

How about a cushion on the chairs? it would seem a less drastic option.

Pete

You're table at 31" would seem a bit high, but, as mentioned dose seem a bit drastic.
As long as the legs are not tapered, and you really need to cut them, just go with the marking knife and tenon saw, carefully.
Regards Rodders

I suppose 31" is a bit high, Ive always thought 30" is correct and 18" for a dining chair.

Maybe you have a table a bit high and a chair a bit low, which does feel annoying -Ive had that sometimes when having a meal in a pub and the chair is too low.

The easiest way would be to use your chopsaw. If you are worried about breakout, I would score it with a knife first, although this is not so easy if the legs are tapered. I would score slightly above where you want to cut to avoid any chance of the saw blade crossing the line and chipping out, then put a chamfer around the bottom of the leg and sand. The chamfer helps protect the bottom of the leg from chipping out if the table is ever dragged.

Is go with the chop saw. Then knock the edge off to a slight chamfer all the way round with a router (or block plane) that will remove any tear out from the saw. It will also help protect the leg from being dragged along the floor

If you're not considering buying a new blade, then score with a knife and use a handsaw (ideally filed for crosscutting).
Perhaps mark the legs as they are standing now, because floors aren't always level.

+1 on chamfering.

thanks for your input chaps. i'll try scoring and chop saw first then chamfering with a block plane. just waiting for my back to mend so hopefully i'll do it next weekend.
having had a google it seems 30" is regarded as a standard height for a dining table.

Back