Advice on wall panelling please,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoops!

Established Member
Reaction score
Hurrah, I have finally managed to get some time away from doing other peoples houses and things and am now working on mine for the next month.
I am restoring a dilapidated old farm house and have decided to make extensive use of panelling on the walls and possibly on some ceilings. However, although I work with wood, panelling is not something that I have previously done,and as always, asking those who have done it can bypass those monumental cockup's .
My main question is as to the method of fixing the rails and stiles to the battoning, and as to wether there should be any special 'bracing' battoning that should be included in the battoning build.
I am using treated pine studding which will soon be faced with plaster board, and on to that will go the panelling. The reason for the plasterboard is that the wall of tyhe house are 2ft thick and have no DPC, The temperature differences here in france are huge, and I wish to provide as stable an envoirament as possible.
Many thanks, all advice is welcome, no matter how small it may sound

Decklan
p.s photo's to come soonish

Hi Decklan

By replying I'm bumping up your post in the hope that others may be able to contribute better advice than I can give.

I'm assuming that battoning and studding are one and the same? How will you fix the studding? I'd be tempted to try and make a freestanding room within a room if you see what I mean. You'll be using foil backed plaster board or similar to avoid moisture ?

No matter how well you make the studding/fix the plasterboard it will move and so plan around that with your panelling...make sure the panels float. If you'e intending to fix stuff to the ewalls such as cupboards etc then take a few digital photo's of the studding before you put the plasterboard up and annotate the photos with spacing measurements, both between the studding and also back toa reference point in the room that will be visible when you've put up the plasterboard and panelling.

Sorry if this is all too much like sucking eggs.

You might also try the screwfix forum.

Hope that helps

Roger

I agree with Roger - make it a separate stud wall.
By "panelling" do you mean "matchboarding" or proper panels with rails, stiles and a panel like a trad panel door? Whichever it is then you don't need the plasterboard but you do need a dpm just under the boards to prevent condensation finding it's way to the external wall inner surface. e.g. builders polythene sheet pinned to the studs.
You also need as much insulation as you can afford - between the studs and behind them, but leaving a clear gap to the external wall. Stone walls are highly conductive - the insulation value of 1cm of foam is equivalent to 40 or more cms of masonry, 60+cms of granite etc. so every bit you get in will make a big improvement and it would be a missed opportunity not to do it at this stage.
cheers
Jacob

The easy way to do it is to fix veneered board to the studwork and then overlay your styles and rails which can cover the board fixings like this

panel1.jpg

panel2.jpg

If you want traditional raised panels with heavily moulded framework look out for old woodworking books, I may have it in one of mine and will scan & post later if I can find it.

Jason

What you going to use for the panelling Decklan?

Decklan,

You mention the walls have no DPM and are 2 feet thick, are the walls rendered with traditional sand & lime finish ?. If so, by paneling the walls are you sure your not compromising the walls ability to breathe out the constant moisture generated by the walls drawing up moisture from the ground. By trapping in the moisture by the plasterboard & panelling you may be storing up problems at a later date.

I don't know if you are aware of this but creating a space of stale air between the walls and paneling will bring problems later on imho on this type of wall construction.

Hope this helps

Blinkey Blimey!!
I waited up last night waiting for a reply, nothing occured. But here I am tonight seriously chuffed with the resonse, ( after a bottle of Chateau Neuf du Pap, it is Valentine's after all,)Many thanks for your responses.
Firstly studding and battoning are different, batonning being still involving framing or bracing work, just that the scale is different .
As to the dpm, I have laid that in the floor, but have not used it in the walls, though it does run up the wall 30cm. I would like to have used foil backed plasterboard but due to the size of the area to be covered, that is beyond my costing limit.
Ihave ensured that there is an active airflow between the stud and the wall, absolutely essential. I am tired of clients who ask that the air flow holes in the walls are blocked , not realising the importance of evaporation, and it surprising how many people who have had there exterior wall cement rendered, and then heavily insulate the interior wall, who suffer from rot of the beam-ends in the wall. The beam in the room look fine, but rotten as pear in the wall. And yes my walls are lime rendered.
The costruction is to be of trad rail and stile, and floating panel. The panel to be of Oak faced ply, the rails and stiles to be of 22mm european Oak. I have ensured that direction of grain is to be the same in both the panel construction and the studding.
I am still not determined as to which style of fixing to choose, but I think centerd screw fixings (countersunk and plugged, ) will be the way. Open to ALL suggestions though.
Please , if it sounds like a few corners may have been cut ( not foil backed plaster board , et all,) I do have nigh on 70m2 to cover. Things really start getting dear !!!
Thanks guys, I really enjoy listening to you.

Decklan. now where's that other (hic ) bottle?
:eek:ccasion5:

Back