Advice on using my Random Orbital Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTMonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all I think it is a great piece of kit, but my first project using it has identified some issues.

I will be gluing layers of hardwoods together, to do so I want to make sure they are flat (and smooth?).

Anyway, the pieces in question are roughsawn, 4x4x1 (inches) in size.

On goes the 60 grit, and within a minute or two I have a nice clean surface. All is well, apart from the fact that there is a very obvious curve to the face, higher in the middle, lower on the edges.

It seems to me that whilst I am not applying pressure (which I understand you shouldn't), I am letting it overshoot the piece too much, which may be contributing to the undesired effect.

Thinking about this, given the size of the pieces should I enclose the piece with some "sacrificial" wood to pass on the curve problem off the piece?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Thanks for the advice, I suppose your right, will sanding an already flat piece assist the bonding process?

Any standing after planning could curve/dent the piece and cause less glue surface so a weaker joint. Plane only. Glue depending but to smooth of wood your joining could also weaken the joint.

If you are rounding over by running the ROS over the edge - stop running it over the edge. Just take it up to the edge (plus a bit to make sure you have got there).

Back