advice needed charnwood 813 + 860

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dunk,

I think they would be ok but personally I'd probably go for the Axminster M950:

340184_xl.jpg

I think they all come from the same factory in China with a few touch ups in each company's own workshops.

I think there has been a few comments on here about problems with some Charnwood kit, not entirely certain of the outcome though. One thing I know for sure is that if there was a problem with any Axminster kit it would be solved immediatly!!

HTH

Richard

Thanks for the reply the only thing that puts me of wit the axminster is the positioning of the motor and the legs are steel where as the bigger charnwood is cast.
Are there any other lathes in this sort of price range that you would recomend
Thanks

Hi Dunk,

I didn't notice the difference in the motor! The extra wieght from the cast legs would also be an improvement. As I say, I'm sure the Charnwood would be a god machine. I think SIP do a similar one:

http://www.sipuk.co.uk/tools/sip_workshop_lathes.html but I think the motor is still at the back rather than at the end.

The other alternative is second hand....

Cheers,

Richard

Yes I think the sip is the same thing the thing I'm finding with second hand is they all seem to hold their value pretty well so I would rather spend a little more for the warentee I was planning on getting a record but I'm a bit put off by the. 1mt the other option is a fox I'm going around in circles

A know a lot of poeple that have Records and all of them are over the moon with them. As you say, the small spindle thread (3/4" x 16tpi) and the 1 MT has always put me off too. There's a couple of guys on here that have or have had Fox lathes too.

Sorry I can't be of more help! :oops:

Richard

Nothing official - just my vague opinion.... :)

The different cast beds look slightly different but the headstocks all appear to be almost identical. The SIP has the kill-switch on the front left, the Draper has a blanking plate in the same place and the emergency stop on a long cord..... makes you think........

No change to my previously expressed opinion that all lathes of this type are pretty much equally mediocre. If you must have one the Axminster is probably the only one where the retailer actually appears to make some effort to ensure quality control. Also as Richard says, Axminster have effective customer service.

Why not save up a few more pennies and buy a decent second hand lathe like Blister's woodfast https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37280 Now that's a proper lathe.

Hi Dunk,

I have the Perform CCBL which is another variation, Axminster have now replaced it with THIS. I actually paid a visit to Axminster in Devon because I didn't want to buy blind over the internet, I wasn't disappointed. It is perfectly adequate for my needs from bowls to pens and quite accurate too, the only thing I've had to replace on it in 2 years I've had it is the belt. My only little gripe is that mine was only supplied with a quite a long tool rest but his is easily remedied with the various tool rests available online now.

As mentioned previously the stand is a little flimsy, but I'm not bothered as I've got mine on a purpose built bench.

Hope this helps

Steve :D

I had the Perform and it was adequate until I started doing heavier offcentre things over the side. My fault not the machine. I expected too much of it. The stand is just folded steel but can be stiffened by putting shelves in. The position of the motor is a bit awkward for some things and does tend to suck dust in. Value for money I reckon they are good and apart from going 2nd hand you won't do much better for that sort of money

pete

As Steve and Pete say, these lathes are adequate. My lathe before last was a perform CCBL. Adequate, but mediocre. Why not go to a decent dealer and look at, feel and listen to some lathes running, then you will see the difference between adequate and quality.

Hi
I had the SIP version from when they first came out and had loads of trouble with it, capacitors burning out belts wearing out, vibration etc.
Have now got a Record CL4 VS and wouldn't be without it. i turn everything from pens to 18" platters and have never found the spindle size to be a problem even when turning out of balance and off center bowls.
Good luck with your searching.

Malcolm

Hi guys
Thanks for all your comments I apprichiate them all I know I'm asking lots of questions but I have bought things before and had wished I had spent a little more on them I am just trying to get a feel for what I need and also what everyone else is using. I would love to go to a dealer and see first hand what's on offer the problem I have got is I live in anglesey and I haven't got a clue where a decent dealer is proberbly at least a hundred miles away

Dunk.
If you have difficulties in seeing tools or machines i would go with one of the Axminster lathes,if buying new,or save and buy a better lathe from the start,as like most of us you will want to upgrade as your turning progresses at some point.
I had the Axy Perform CCBL and it was a good lathe for what i was learning at the time,but soon realised it's limitations for what i wanted to do.

I have to confess that my Charnwood(s) eventually gave way to a Record. Charnwood were quick to rectify problems, but they came thick and fast, and I feel really bad for saying that, because I loved the thing. They replaced with an updated model, and then another, and eventually they gave me back all my money. I was talking to a teacher the other day, who had brought 5 Charnwoods into the workshop and they apparently all had problems. I can't stand by without warning you though. That's what forums are for(a) :wink:

Latest posts

Back