Advice for Dado and Groover sets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been asked to make a dado flange for a member that is the same diameter as the saw clamping flange. (about 85mm diameter)

I will have to order in material specially for this which will attract small order surcharges from my steel supplier so I only want to place one order.

Is anyone else wanting a large flange for the DW series of radial arm saws. Cost is likely to be in the region of £25 each posted to UK address.
Please let me know asap by PM - payment will be asked for in advance by paypal with you picking up the paypal fees

Mods: I hope this is not breaking any rules. This is not a business activity- just doing it as a favour.

Bob

misterfish":36emb59h said:
powertools":36emb59h said:
Can someone explain why the best option is not to remove the boss from the washer and use reducing bushes on the saw blades.
This option gives far more support to the dado set.

The dado flange being shorter/narrower allows the fitting of a wider dado stack. Also when using the dado flange you have to use a dado blade guard - i use a modified version of http://tooltray.com/DeWalt-Saw-Accessor ... m-Saws.htm

Misterfish

I understand now, my dado set is only 4pc up to 1/2" and fits between the orignal washers and stays within the orignal guard and I thought that this was the only dado set for use on these machines.
I have now dug out the book Woodworking The Dewalt Way that came with my machine and it makes reference to dado sets up to 7/8" and as you say you need the special bush for the inner side, it also says on sets this wide you do not use the outer washer at all just tighten the nut against the dado set, this setup I think would still fit within the orignal guard.

powertools":3iazzipv said:
misterfish":3iazzipv said:
powertools":3iazzipv said:
Can someone explain why the best option is not to remove the boss from the washer and use reducing bushes on the saw blades.
This option gives far more support to the dado set.

The dado flange being shorter/narrower allows the fitting of a wider dado stack. Also when using the dado flange you have to use a dado blade guard - i use a modified version of http://tooltray.com/DeWalt-Saw-Accessor ... m-Saws.htm

Misterfish

I understand now, my dado set is only 4pc up to 1/2" and fits between the orignal washers and stays within the orignal guard and I thought that this was the only dado set for use on these machines.
I have now dug out the book Woodworking The Dewalt Way that came with my machine and it makes reference to dado sets up to 7/8" and as you say you need the special bush for the inner side, it also says on sets this wide you do not use the outer washer at all just tighten the nut against the dado set, this setup I think would still fit within the orignal guard.

It is a few years since I made my dado flanges for my DW1753 (seems very similar to most DWs) but I found by careful measurement when making the flanges, I can swing a full 7/8" Freud dado set inside the standard guard. The nut does not fit all the way on the threads but about 70% of the big brass nut are engaged with the full blade set fitted. Mine happens to be a 30mm dado set but I think the 5/8" one would fit in the same way.
The blade body face nearest the motor is a shade over 16mm from the reference face of the flange collar.

I will be making the large flanges for members to those dimensions and the small ones to MisterFish's dimensions if that is of interest.

Bob

I have now dug out the book Woodworking The Dewalt Way that came with my machine and it makes reference to dado sets up to 7/8" and as you say you need the special bush for the inner side, it also says on sets this wide you do not use the outer washer at all just tighten the nut against the dado set, this setup I think would still fit within the orignal guard.[/quote]

It is a few years since I made my dado flanges for my DW1753 (seems very similar to most DWs) but I found by careful measurement when making the flanges, I can swing a full 7/8" Freud dado set inside the standard guard. The nut does not fit all the way on the threads but about 70% of the big brass nut are engaged with the full blade set fitted. Mine happens to be a 30mm dado set but I think the 5/8" one would fit in the same way.
The blade body face nearest the motor is a shade over 16mm from the reference face of the flange collar.

I will be making the large flanges for members to those dimensions and the small ones to MisterFish's dimensions if that is of interest.

Bob[/quote]

When using mine as a saw I use an arbour mounted laser guide. The problem I have with that is that the orignal washers on my saw are dished and although the guide sits against the inner washer ok inside the dished part I have to put the outer washer on the wrong way round so that the flat outer face of the washer is against the blade to stop the blade distorting and making the beam fuzzy.
If I were to measure the size of spacers I need to improve this situation would you quote me for making them?
Like you I hope the mods don't see this as any other than forum members helping each other

Send me some drawings/sketches- what ever you have - to my direct email [email protected] and we can take any further discussion outside the forum.
I'd also be interested in your laser device so if you can send a photo etc I'd be grateful.
Cheers

Bob

Many thanks will try to sort out drawings tomorrow.
The laser guide transforms this 30 year old machine and brings it in to the modern age, I will send details.

Some details of my RAS/dado setup.

The blade and guard in position with full 7/8 inch stack.
rasdado1.jpg

In this set up there is no space on the arbor for the outer flange, but the DeWalt Powershop Manual clearly states that the flange can be omitted if there is insufficient length of arbor thread for the nut.

Guard removed
rasdado2.jpg

My modified guard - it's a really basic modification just involving removing the hinge pin and the hinged/flapped part of the guard to allow fitting and use as in the first picture above.
rasdado3.jpg

Misterfish

Back