adding wardrobes to existing work in very old house + Pics.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe90

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

See pictures below if you don't like to read long posts... :shock:

I'd love a bit of advice on the best way to carry out some work. The client would like an extension made for an existing wardrobe. The existing wardrobes are quite old and a bit dodgy really but all the same they are in keeping with the house and I think they should definitely stay.

The house is in the center of Dublin city and is a really nice old house, with 10ft ceilings and large plaster mouldings and other features not to be found in modern homes. The house would be worth 1 million Euros if not 2 million... but houses are expensive in Dublin. I'm not sure of the architecture but it is typical of 18th (maybe 19th) century Dublin homes.. i.e 3 or 4 storeys with a basement, and expensive exterior stonework, 12ft inner hall, etc.

Basically the existing wardrobes were built around a fireplace (on the second floor), the fireplace has been removed and the client would like four new doors to be added and shelving etc behind them. Ideally the new doors would have to be in sympathy with the older stuff and ideally the faceframes would be continous, i.e the new doors should be the same size etc and not look like 'bodged in' recent work. The removed fireplace has left a concrete bumpy mess about two foot sqaure and maybe 2 to 3 inches tall, very uneven.

The old cabinets were bowing in the center in a 'U' shape, her husband added new pieces around the side and top to level this off... i.e the new (horizontal) top piece was installed, this left gaps from the center to the left and to the right, these gaps were 0 at the center and increasing to maybe 10mm at the left and right, these gaps were then filled and painted.
(The center was bowing by more than 10mm so the new piece is probably bowing slightly too...)

We discussed the options for an hour or so, she would probably like the remedial work removed and the new additions to be added in the same way they would have been done originally...

Here is the text of an email discussing the options.
email....
I am still thinking about the best way to carry out the work. The options are as we discussed.

Option 1) Pull out the additional remedial work, push up the bowing cabinets using an 'Accro' (a builders support for holding up walls while doors are being knocked through etc.), put in a permanent support to hold up the cabinets, remove the 'Accro', hang the leftmost and rightmost new doors on the existing cabinets, hang the two new central doors on the new supporting piece, fix a new skirting board along the entire length, then install shelves and hanging space behind the new doors (basically in a similar way as to how the existing shelves have been installed). The new central support to hold up the bowing cabinets will need to be full depth, i.e from the front to the back... this would be difficult to do because of the bumpiness of the floor so I think I'd have to put in a false floor about 100mm high, once this is done it should be ok. I have leveling feet which I'd use to level the false floor, I'd also use wooden wedges in places probably.

Option 2) Leave the existing cabinets as they are, insert two new freestanding cabinets with doors in a very similar style (although they'd be smaller) into the alcove, level the new cabinets, the new cabinets will have to be slightly smaller than the alcove, so even more trims would have to be added to close up the small gaps remaining,( i.e you'd have existing wardrobes, later remedial work and trims, new trims, and finally new cabinets and doors)... then the skirting board would have to be done, basically as in option 1, a new full length skirting would be attached along the base.

Option 1 is probably best.

The choice of material is really between solid pine, large pine panels are made from individual planks edge glued together ---- or high quality multi core Birch faced plywood (which is also solid wood but made from thin layers with the grain alternating in different directions, about 16 layers per 18mm). Even if you go for the plywood I would still use pine for the trims and possibly some other parts. The plywood is more dimensionally stable than the solid pine.

end email...

I have some pictures below... I would appreciate any input into this... Sorry for the length of this post, must be a record... :shock: :D

Cheers
Joe

IMG00020.JPG

IMG00016.JPG

IMG00009-2(Medium).jpg

IMG00008.JPG

IMG00014.JPG

Option one seems the best but then i wouldn't even entertain the idea because at the end it's going to look like a bad job whatever you do . It's alot of messing about and you could probably build a brand new wardrobe in the same style in not alot of extra time and the job will look good .

Heres how I would probably do it if keeping the top cupboards.

Empty bridging units and prop up with some 4x2 wedged in at an angle from the gront, take out the wardrobe that seems to be holding the bridging units up.

Build a plinth out of say 38x88 CLS that is 18mm below the level of thye door bottoms and 18mm back from the face of the doors. This can be packed up off the floor and notched as needed to clear the stone hearth.

Trim back the opening to the red line on your pics if possible.

Fit a 18mm MDF or ply base and dress the front with 18mm board and fit skirting run to match existing.

Accuratly cut a MDF central divider so that when it is put into place it takes the weight of the top units, you will probably need to fit ex 25x25 battens either side to fix it to the rear wall and prevent bowing, dress the front with a softwood or poplar face frame to match existing.

Make 4 doors to match, I would go for full size MDF panels with strips of MDF glued in place to form the rails & styles then apply a moulding to match existing.

The other option is to remove the bridging unit and remedial timbers, Fit the plinth as above, then make two full height "boxes" that slide into the opening side by side, set slightly proud to form a breakfront, fit face frame and top & bottom doors.

Jason

JFC":1pg47a6w said:
Option one seems the best but then i wouldn't even entertain the idea because at the end it's going to look like a bad job whatever you do . It's alot of messing about and you could probably build a brand new wardrobe in the same style in not alot of extra time and the job will look good .

Thanks for this, I would also like to re-do the whole lot in some ways.

JFC":1pg47a6w said:
... and you could probably build a brand new wardrobe in the same style in not alot of extra time and the job will look good ....

I'm confused by this, surely it would have to cost at least three times as much, if not five times! (to re-do the entire lot!) :shock:

After all, there are two double robes on each side, and eight doors across the top, and it would cost money to remove all the existing stuff.
The charge to rip out and re-do the entire thing in a similar style, eight upper doors and eight lower doors, including fitting and painting, would have to be at least £3.5K to £5K sterling!
Whereas, even with all the faffing around, the cost for the new work may be only £1.2K to £1.7K sterling.
(All prices are approximate and I would tend to the lower figures...)

She would have to accept that I can't work miracles and the new work may not be perfect.

Cheers
Joe

Your right there , i was thinking they would remove the old wardrobes and i also don't paint my wardrobes so yes there is that on top . I find most people are happy to remove the old and paint the new if it saves them £1000 and i'm happy not to get involved in that part of it .

jasonB":2gobd8b9 said:
Heres how I would probably do it if keeping the top cupboards.

Empty bridging units and prop up with some 4x2 wedged in at an angle from the gront, take out the wardrobe that seems to be holding the bridging units up.

The freestanding robe isn't holding the units up, it just looks that way. The upper cabinets are essentially empty, there are no shelves or dividers in there... they seem pretty stable, probably bowed over 30 or 40 years...

It's a good idea with the wedge from the front but I don't know if it will work, I may need something more controllable which can exert equal pressure over the entire depth (690mm or so)... I was thinking of using a board to spread the pressure and support this with the 'Accro'...

Build a plinth out of say 38x88 CLS that is 18mm below the level of thye door bottoms and 18mm back from the face of the doors. This can be packed up off the floor and notched as needed to clear the stone hearth.

Trim back the opening to the red line on your pics if possible.

I'm unsure what 'CLS' is? I think I know what you mean about a plinth or a 'false floor', are these the same? (The plinth would be an 'open' horizontal framework which is level and well supported at all points?)

The doors would end up 32mm thick I'd say, definitely thicker than 18mm... they can't be done on a spindle so they have to be a solid back and mouldings applied on the front... 18mm back and approx 12 to 15mm mouldings....

The opening could be trimmed back, I will have to find out exactly how the husband did it...

Fit a 18mm MDF or ply base and dress the front with 18mm board and fit skirting run to match existing.

Accuratly cut a MDF central divider so that when it is put into place it takes the weight of the top units, you will probably need to fit ex 25x25 battens either side to fix it to the rear wall and prevent bowing, dress the front with a softwood or poplar face frame to match existing.

I wouldn't say MDF will be allowed, multi core plywood probably...
Good idea about the two 25x25 battens running vertically to prevent bowing of the new support...

I don't think the front can be dressed as you describe, if it was done the new doors would be different to the existing... the new doors must extend all the way to the edges and to the top of the alcove (after remedial work is removed), as in the pictures, the existing doors are like this.

Make 4 doors to match, I would go for full size MDF panels with strips of MDF glued in place to form the rails & styles then apply a moulding to match existing.

The other option is to remove the bridging unit and remedial timbers, Fit the plinth as above, then make two full height "boxes" that slide into the opening side by side, set slightly proud to form a breakfront, fit face frame and top & bottom doors.

Jason

It'll have to be plywood I think... but yes, it'll be solid plywood rectangles for the doors with the rails and stiles applied to the front...
It's an interesting idea to remove the bridging unit... however I feel that it is probably integral to the rest and may prove difficult or impossible... I like the idea of the breakfront!!! :D

Thanks for the good ideas, very much appreciated...! :D

CLS is Canadian Lumber Standard , it cheap carcass material that has been shoved through a sander so it's all the same size .
Why is mdf not an option ?

Hi

Just thought I'd include a drawing showing the approximate dimensions. The height is greater than 2440, probably at least 2800mm from floor to ceiling, this may present some difficulties with making new full height robes... although I'd always make the top boxes seperately.

The top doors are about 670mm tall with maybe 140mm above them...

TF-Robes-July07.jpg

Cheers
Joe

Apologies for the (c) info, it is on all my drawings, no offence intended...

JFC":1zsllqqp said:
CLS is Canadian Lumber Standard , it cheap carcass material that has been shoved through a sander so it's all the same size .
Why is mdf not an option ?

Thanks for the info on the 'CLS'...

MDF just doesn't seem to be an option with any of my customers... I don't know why, they hate it. But since MDF is almost universally used it is why I get the customers I do, because I use 'solid pine' which my customers seem to like... (anything but MDF and chipboard is my customers motto)

But I want to get away from solid pine sheets for painted work...

I dislike MDF because any cabinets I make with it tend to fall apart, no screwholding ability... even when using 'conformat' screws and correctly predrilled. Also my methods of using dowels tend to split the MDF when inserted into edges, despite using 8.1mm dowel drills and 8.0mm dowels (+- .1mm). I use the Mafell DD40 doweling machine for most work.

So I'm thinking of using multi core Birch faced ply,... even though it's £35 + VAT per 18mm sheet. (Pine is about £26, plain MDF may be only £14, £15 for 18mm)

(Prices approximated from Irish prices into sterling)

Cheers
Joe

In your place, if customer agrees:

I would keep the photographs for reference.
Take some detailed pics of the doors and their construction, etc.

Then rip the whole lot out and rebuild to the same spec, incorporating any necessary additions that customer wants.
Use the same species of timber if possible.

Ask a proper price for the job and leave it to them to decide.
I would also suggest that they do any necessary painting or employ a decorator.

John :)

Joe90":1kujn1g2 said:
snip
MDF just doesn't seem to be an option with any of my customers... I don't know why, they hate it. But since MDF is almost universally used it is why I get the customers I do, because I use 'solid pine' which my customers seem to like
snip
Haven't read all the thread, but in general:
You are really lucky to be working in classy Dublin houses and I'm certain you'd get more work and a reputation if you stick to the purist rule and do absolutely everything in a proper period way without any compromises.
So yes solid pine (N European redwood) absolutely no to MDF or ply -save everything original, new stuff do perfect replicas of mouldings and copy every detail from original.
I did some work in Mayo and apparently they couldn't get good period joinery from anybody in Ireland as they were all much too busy and I've heard that there is loads of work at the top end. Leave the bottom end to those who can't do it better!

cheers
Jacob

As the wardrobes are not an original part of the house, they were obviously added when the fireplace was removed and a bed was put against the wall there seems little point in making them to a high class with solid timber unless the whole lot is replaced. IN which case I would opt for poplar rather than redwood but the price would be a lot higher than using ply/MDF for the panels.

Jason

Hi

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Poplar and tulipwood are the same thing are they?

Mr G, I don't always get to work in classy Dublin homes but recently I have had more of this type of work. It all started when I started to supply a shop that caters for these homes and sells solid pine painted furniture, they got me to make some of it. It's a niche market really. There was little profit to be made selling to the shop but selling direct works well. I would consider myself very very lucky if I could ease my way into this niche...
I'm sure you enjoyed your time in Mayo, it's a lovely part of the country and still very rural and Irish.

I was a bit wrong as regards the price of Birch ply in Dublin, one crowd are indeed charging about £35 + VAT for Finnish 18mm solid Birch ply, Grade BB. However I can get a bale lot of Chinese 18mm grade BB/CC Birch ply delivered for £20 + VAT per sheet! (Prices in Euro €51 + VAT for Finnish BB, €31 + VAT for Chinese BC). I was reading a timber magazine in a suppliers and apparently there is a shortage of Birch Ply from Northern Europe.

I will post here with the final decision and pics. (Hopefully it will be of an acceptable standard so I can post pics :oops: ) I think the client just wants me to add the new doors rather than rip out and redo, I now think I'll use redwood rather than the ply...

Cheers
Joe

Back