Adding remote switch to 2 way circuit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porker

Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably one for those interested in smart home switching.

I have altered my house recently which meant taking some walls down and re-configuring rooms. I have an existing 2 way lighting circuit that works fine, but I want to add another switch to make it a 3 way circuit as there is an extra place where it makes sense to be able to turn the lights in that room on or off.

Ordinarily, I would add an intermediate switch to the circuit but I can’t get the wiring across to the new location very easily due to the way the house is constructed and not wanting to pull up the floors up in the affected rooms. I have the switch that I want to use already in place (as one of a gang of 4 switches) and a cable runs into a floor space where I can access it and have lighting power. I could use something like a Quinetic switch, but I don’t want to use their actual switches as they don’t match what I have got. (It is an old house and has period looking toggle switches).

What I think I need is something that is triggered by my existing switch to talk wirelessly to the existing 2 way circuit where there would be a receiver that switches states. I have looked at Sonoff kit and am familiar with Quinetic but I can’t figure out how to make this solution work. Any ideas? I don’t care about the switching from an app etc. which these things can do, I just want the physical switches to work.

quinetic do do a transmitter that you can wire to a seperate switch but it needs power to work so unless you have live and neutral at a switch or nearby and could run a cable to the new switch position it might not be for you. but you do say that you have access to the lighting cct and could get a switch to the bank of four obviously you would also need a receiver

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QURFT.html

Thanks for that. I didn't know about this device. It looks like it is exactly what I need. I have no problem with power to this as I ran the cable from the switch to a void where I can get power.

Reading your initial post has sent me down a rabbit hole this morning 🤪
I have several 'sonoffs' but never considered whether the action of one could trigger an action in another.
My first assumption was that it must be possible so I went straight to the Alexa app followed by google etc.....I may be wrong but I think you need to use the IFTTT 'system' in order for this to work and although I don't think that it is much hassle to do it's still, perhaps, just that ie a hassle.
However, you will know that sonoffs are set up (and also controlled) by their own app (Ewelink) and it appears that you can use that app to create 'scenes' that use their own built in 'If THIS then DO THAT' type of scenario.

I don't need to do this at the mo but it's worth knowing it for future use 👍

ps...just used a sonoff basic r3 (with rf) to allow my new dust extractor (screwfix vac) to come on when my main extractor is turned on with a remote. Works a treat.

Just realised that in regard to my previous 'ps' and now that I know about the ewelink scenes, my smaller vac could now be triggered by the larger unit as this is exactly what you were referring to ie one routine triggering another.

In my situation I don't actually want that to happen as I want to control each one separately to one another.....but it could! 👍

Thanks for the insight. I'm comfortable using IFTTT but you are right about the hassle. Simple is usually best in my experience. The Quinetic external transmitter was news to me but it seems the only receiver I can find that will wire into an existing 2 way circuit is a Sonoff. In fact the Quinetic stuff I looked at specifically states it won't work in an existing 2 way circuit, so maybe I need to rewire the 2 way as a single circuit that can be switched by multiple Quinetic transmitters. Quite enjoying trying to figure this out rather than working on the jobs I should be doing!

Mr Porker, have a look into sonoff mini r4, I think it will do what you want 👍

useful vid here......https://youtu.be/HpJJnVwTPNA

One other option is Scolmore -
https://www.scolmore.com/products/clicksmart+/

Kind of designed with retro fit in mind. In your case a remote switch would go wherever you want the third switch and a switch receiver would be wired into one of the existing switch back boxes.

One caveat if adding a switching receiver within the existing switch box you really need a plastic back box as metal will severely reduce the signal.
Obviously in order to fit the receiver the back box also needs to be quite deep.

You may also need to change the existing switch rocker plates for "Retractive" type switches (Push and release)

Back