Acoustic Guitar Project - Complete

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Thought it was about time I got stuck into making a guitar (what with all the lovely guitars being made on this forum!) So I have started building an acoustic.
DSCF2246.jpg

I am putting step-by-step photo's on my website here.... So - what am I building? It is a Weissenborn style Hawaiian lap steel guitar. Its unique feature is its hollow neck - the guitar body runs right to the headstock. Also, the guitar is played sitting down, with it flat on your lap, top facing up. There won't be any frets (just fretmarkers) as it is played with a slide.
Fans of Ben Harpers music will be familiar with this guitar - you can see him playing one in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb0F2dYKTOM
Cheers
Philly :D

Fantastic Phil.

I'm really looking forward to this. How well does the hollow neck resist the string tension? I'm sure the sycamore will look stunning.

Waiting with baited breath!

Simon
There are loads of original guitars surviving so I assume the neck will be strong enough. The strings are 6-8mm off the neck so a low action is not an issue :lol:
Most of the figure on the top will be hidden once the fingerboard goes on. Still, should be a nice guitar. And if it goes well maybe I'll try another one in figured Koa?
Cheers

Slim":2ktzcn8s said:
Fantastic Phil.

I'm really looking forward to this. How well does the hollow neck resist the string tension? I'm sure the sycamore will look stunning.

Waiting with baited breath!
Thats alot of bracing ,i suppose that will be needed to counteract the pull of the neck if its hollow.

Nice project Philly, very much like the rosetta and how the soundboard is made up.

Have you finished that tele yet
:twisted:

Cheers Mike

As there are other lovely guitar threads going on I've been inspired to stop making planes and get on with the guitar. Well, for a few minutes... :wink:
I had a go at hot bending the side for the guitar. Sadly, it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped - the pipe I used was too tight a radius and gave "corrugations" instead of smooth curves. Being too tight to buy some suitable pipe I made a former out of scrap and laminated the sides in my vacuum press.
DSCF3031.jpg

DSCF3029.jpg

DSCF3030.jpg

DSCF3035.jpg

Six layers of veneer (figured Anigre) gave the thickness needed for the sides - they came out really well. I bandsawed the sides to shape after they had cured and I'm preparing kerfed linings to glue the sides to the top.
More pics soon...
Philly :D [/img]

To an earlier question - I built 30 of these back in the 90's and the hollow neck, if built with 6mm side cheek reinforcements (as on the originals) makes for a stronger neck than you can imagine. Given that the bass string is usually .075" and the top .017", these stand up very well...in fact, it's a stronger mechanical construction that a standard guitar.

Loving the veneer vacuum thingy action - this should be a cool project, definitely post the tele-pics, thats one next on my project list :)

I'm impressed that you can leave something in your workshop untouched for six months without damaging it - if I try and leave one thing to get on with another, it usually ends up in pieces on the floor in minutes! :D

Keep the progress coming, Phil! Can't get enough of these guitar-builds right now, I'm gonna have to have a go myself, one day. :wink:

Thanks for the info, Pete!
BB - Tele pics today - promise :D
Olly - Yes, I'm amazed the thing hasn't been smashed during the months of storage. Kinda spurred me into finishing it while it is in good condition :lol:
cheers

A few more pics....
DSCF3063.jpg

DSCF3065.jpg

DSCF3067.jpg

Shaped the sides, glued in the tail block and started adding the kerfed linings.
Cheers

BB
They are glued, which, when you think about it, doesn't seem strong enough. The joint between the edge of the sides and the underside of the top doesn't give much glue surface and you have all sorts of crossgrain issues.
Hence the linings. These are little "glue blocks" that vastly increase the gluing surface area. When you think most guitars are bound (i.e. the corner area is routed away!) the guitar would fall apart without these glue blocks.
Hope this makes sense?

Philly":1lq9vwq7 said:
BB
They are glued, which, when you think about it, doesn't seem strong enough. The joint between the edge of the sides and the underside of the top doesn't give much glue surface and you have all sorts of crossgrain issues.
Hence the linings. These are little "glue blocks" that vastly increase the gluing surface area. When you think most guitars are bound (i.e. the corner area is routed away!) the guitar would fall apart without these glue blocks.
Hope this makes sense?

Aye, makes perfect sense :) (I can see the kerfed linings in the last picture...)

Will you be binding this one? Also, can you play a lap-steel guitar?

Back