about power supply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexeiv

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that it will be a hard question but I will try it here. The machines, specially the SIP01332 has 3hp power. But that in watts are about 2200 watts. I use a circular saw, Hitachi from 1750 watts and in the specifications they note that are supply with and amperage of 8 ampers. So after time of dubting of buying the SIP I see that the specifications speak about ¿16 ampers? ¿How can it be? Thats the total amperage of my home?

thanks

You may have a selection of power tools that each draw a fair bit of power, but you will not be using them all at the same time will you? Even if you had someone working with you, you are unlikey to run 2 machines at the same time.

This is the basic theory that all these things work on.

In my kitchen I have a kettle, a dishwasher, a washing machine and a tumble dryer, plus all manner of lower power items. all running on a 30 fused circuit, but they never all draw max current at the same time and the fuse never blows. I also have another 30A circuit, plus 2 30A cooker supplies, as well as 2 5A lighting circuits, and a 40A circuit to my workshop, that adds up to 170A but is all fed from a 100A incoming fuse, but its not a problem.

When a motor is switched on it draws a high current but as soon as it starts turning it generates a 'back emf' that reduces the current very quickly to its running current as determined by its power (wattage) you need the 16amp supply for that start up .

I have the sip 10" saw and it runs quite happily of a 13amp plug. You need to make sure the drive belts are not too tight as this will cause the fuse to blow on start up.

Les

So tanks to all. I have contract to energy company 3,3 KW. And the amp. supply is from 16 amp. But I wonder that one saw like the hitachi has an amperage of 8 amp and the SIP 16, that's a lot. So I can not buy it if only a heater is on its very dangerous to start on the machine.

3.3KW contract ? Where abouts are you based ?
I've never come across a home with only a 16A supply - that's gotta be practically unheard of.

yes im from Spain, and type of contract 16 amp and 3,3 Kw is the usual

hi alex

You got here in the end , as i said a nice punch of guys would soon be along to help you out , (alex e mailed me asking his original question) but seeing I'm not an electrician pointed him in your directions.

alex, even if you turn on the saw when you have a fire on surely if it overloads it will only blow a fuse ?? hc

Back