Abbreviations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Could somebody tell me what people to with the time they save by writing abbreviations instead of proper words?

It's so frustrating when reading posts (also on other sites) and coming up against two, three or four letters where the op obviously knows what he's talking about but leaves the rest of us scratching our heads trying to figure out the meaning. FGS.

Andy

In work we have an engineering programme called 'fit for service' which we abreviate to F4S, but some of the less tech savvy office dinosaurs use FFS which causes some great giggles in the younger folks. FFS engineering, pretty much sums it up. F.

PICNIC (problem in chair not in computer) gets near daily use in my line of work!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

txt speak is intellectual brain rot, it encourages mediocrity, low standards and laziness.

Abbreviations and acronyms have been around a lot longer than mobile telephone text messaging. Some do work their way into the dictionary with use and popularity.
I use certain ones in forum posts, but I think it's only the ones I've seen in use here anyway [and had to work out]. Steve Maskery can be quite creative though and sometimes quite cryptic, IMHO it adds value when he does.
Conversely when I do send text messages on the mobile phone I type everything in fully with no abbreviations, otherwise ambiguity is hard to avoid.

IME long speak messages (LSM) to millennials rarely elicit more than a TLR SDL so, really, WTP?

OTOH the slang is intriguing. My number two told me the other day - when I was moaning about a police stop - that my car (MK4 Golf) is a bit of a "roadman" car. I've no idea what that means but like the sound of it so maybe I'll keep it a bit longer.

Best one I've seen, there was a regional director in my previous company who loved his abbreviations, and once he forwarded an email around our office (70odd people) saying...

All,

FYI, K2B1S

Ta,

M

Opposite effect to being more efficient, everyone was scratching their heads... K2B1S = "kill two birds with one stone"

Sawdust=manglitter":6dhnyhm7 said:
Best one I've seen, there was a regional director in my previous company who loved his abbreviations, and once he forwarded an email around our office (70odd people) saying...

All,

FYI, K2B1S

Ta,

M

Opposite effect to being more efficient, everyone was scratching their heads... K2B1S = "kill two birds with one stone"

Quite easy to trace the source of emails, otherwise it must have been very tempting to reply:

"M,

FO

Ta,

All"

Latest posts

Back