Abbreviations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you never SWALK you letters as a teenager?

Or write NORWHICH?

Weds, Thurs, Fri?

I can cope with shortened expressions because it was a nessecity. Wheras text "speak"? Oh no thats a step too far.
On 'tinternet, expressions were shortened at first as memory was so low on most message boards that it had to be done.
Stuff like... G. BG. VBG. or IMHO, or even LOL, which stands for laugh out loud, NOT lots of love as many believe.

ROFLMFAO, to quote my american friends

For me the craze reaches its illogical peak with the American habit of giving things ludicrous, lengthy and often illiterate names for no reason other than to make a short acronym from it that is actually... a word.

Well at least a lot of abbreviations don't make your eyes hurt the way some people insist on still using L337 5P34K (Leet Speak) mostly gamers to be fair but even in normal comms, However for the most common ones I think they work well. I remember SWALK and NORWICH, a bygone time now sadly.

DoctorWibble":12pplody said:
For me the craze reaches its illogical peak with the American habit of giving things ludicrous, lengthy and often illiterate names for no reason other than to make a short acronym from it that is actually... a word.

It annoys when the Americans say redundant things like 'Version 1' as 'Version one point oh'. That's half a second of my life I will never get back!

One of the guys I used to fly with insisted on saying "Tango Yankee" to the controllers. On one flight I asked him what Tango Yankee was, and he told me it was the abbreviation of "thank you". I spent the rest of the flight explaining why a four-syllable phrase was not an abbreviation for a two-syllable phrase. I don't think he understood because he still used Tango Yankee.

:lol: I must admit the Yanks, Canucks, Australians, Kiwis, Finns, Dutch, Germans (sorry if I have omitted anyone) bring a remarkable breadth and depth of knowledge to this forum, even when sometimes (sharpening threads, frog angles etc. esp.) you wish they didn't. :D
Forgot Portuguese. Sorry.

MikeK":38df6ewj said:
One of the guys I used to fly with insisted on saying "Tango Yankee" to the controllers. On one flight I asked him what Tango Yankee was, and he told me it was the abbreviation of "thank you". I spent the rest of the flight explaining why a four-syllable phrase was not an abbreviation for a two-syllable phrase. I don't think he understood because he still used Tango Yankee.

World Wide Web is the same - double u, double u, double u. :)

phil.p":2nweyjsn said:
MikeK":2nweyjsn said:

World Wide Web is the same - double u, double u, double u. :)

Think how much time we humans have wasted saying that!

In the programming world, people shorten 'double u' to 'dub'. So instead of 'WPF' (double u pee ef), they say 'Dub pee ef'. Although I have never heard it used for URLS.

If yer an awd sod like me then here's some to get on with

ATD.............At The Doctors.

BFF.............Best Friend Fell.

BTW.............Bring the Wheelchair.

BYOT............Bring Your Own Teeth.

FWIW........... Forgot Where I Was.

GGPBL.......... Gotta Go Pacemaker Battery Low.

GHA.............Got Heartburn Again.

IMHAO...........Is My Hearing Aid On.

LMDO........... Laughing My Dentures Out.

OMMR.......... On My Massage Recliner.

OMSG ......... Oh My! Sorry, Gas.

ROFLACGU...... Rolling On Floor Laughing And Can't Get Up.

TTYL............Talk To You Louder.

The French are masters at using initials for their catchy governemental organisation names

“Service Public d’Assainissement Non Collectif” or SPANC for short. They are the ones who inspect yer fosse septic, septic tank, and make sure it's up to date with the new regs. We were SPANCed a short while back because we are selling the house. Didn't 'urt a bit even though he was a big bloke :shock:

I can't find others at the moment?

It took us ages to work out that OTAN was NATO, also LPG is GPL. Rs about face just about sums it up :?

When we first moved down south it took us ages to suss that SOTON painted on lane markings and signs meant Southampton!

Rod

Harbo":3ht2ld4l said:
When we first moved down south it took us ages to suss that SOTON painted on lane markings and signs meant Southampton!

Rod

And in America....took me ages to work out what PED XING painted on the road meant. :oops:

Cheshirechappie":37kvr97a said:
Sawdust=manglitter":37kvr97a said:
Best one I've seen, there was a regional director in my previous company who loved his abbreviations, and once he forwarded an email around our office (70odd people) saying...

All,

FYI, K2B1S

Ta,

M

Opposite effect to being more efficient, everyone was scratching their heads... K2B1S = "kill two birds with one stone"

Quite easy to trace the source of emails, otherwise it must have been very tempting to reply:

"M,

FO

Ta,

All"

What's it got to do with the Foreign Office?

Latest posts

Back