A year in the life of..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking a quick review this evening of some of the projects that I have completed over the last year, both paid and unpaid. It isn't a bad amount considering that other than for one job, all work is completed by me, with no outside help.

In no particular order other than the last photos, which are of my current project.

p1060372.jpg

use1.jpg

p1070775.jpg

p1070777w.jpg

dscf0370b.jpg

p1070976.jpg

p1070978.jpg

p10800140.jpg

dscf0990.jpg

p1080212h.jpg

dscf1150a.jpg

dscf1147z.jpg

totempole3.jpg

p1080304a.jpg

p1080668t.jpg

dscf1224s.jpg

dscf1585x.jpg

dscf1589o.jpg

dscf1583a.jpg

spiraltwo.jpg

dscf1777v.jpg

The only job that I needed a hand/lift on

dscf1682x.jpg

dscf1753u.jpg

dscf1756o.jpg

Other 'home' projects.

p1080288l.jpg

p1090306n.jpg

dscf1799o.jpg

p1090278v.jpg

p1090281.jpg

dscf1592o.jpg

Current project at home.. An outside loo.

dscf1796b.jpg

Mike G... Notice the clean lines these days, with no dowel showing on the front elevations.

dscf0591a.jpg

The current 'paid' project.

dscf1802.jpg

dscf1811m.jpg

I am in awe of your work and am amazed that you had no help on them! :shock: How on earth do you manage it? Some brilliant work by the way. :D

mailee":3ma96d1a said:
I am amazed that you had no help on them! :shock: How on earth do you manage it?

It just takes practice. :wink: I was struggling today to fit the very long jack rafters, commons are easy, but long jacks are always a problem. I suddenly realized purely by chance that they can be held and fitted with just one hand. All that it took was a little bit of thinking about and a couple of mins setting up a bit of kit. :)

This is how the current project looks after today. I still have the collars, purlins and diagonal bracing to fit, but it's getting there. :)

dscf1813h.jpg

A very impressive portfolio for a year.

I also noticed you've an elaborate looking water recycling/collection system in one of your photo's. This is something I've been meaning to do for a while - I've bought an IBC, but haven't done anything with it yet.

Thanks to all for teh positive comments. :)

DeanN":95ihms4b said:
I also noticed you've an elaborate looking water recycling/collection system in one of your photo's. This is something I've been meaning to do for a while - I've bought an IBC, but haven't done anything with it yet.

My IBC system would be great, but sadly it currently only gets fed by one very minor gutter. I need to address that problem before next year, as it meant that we had no water when it was badly needed in May.

The six tanks are all linked together at the top, and the first tank acts as a sump, so isn't connected at the bottom in te same way as the others are. The remaining five tanks gravity feed into an animal water trough. It works very well, but really I would love to pressurize the system to enable faster filling and also allow a hose pipe to be used to better effect. All these jobs!!! :shock:

p1090376u.jpg

rszp1070835.jpg

I also made a store using the front section of a luton lorry body. I still need to make some doors for it at some stage though.
rszdscf0331.jpg

Another handy device that I made up, was three fold up/out runner bean frames. They can simply be folded out when in use, and then taken down and put away for the winter.

dscf9887.jpg

And on the theme of recycling. I also came up with this very simple idea for tomato supports.

dscf1722t.jpg

dscf1723y.jpg

Thanks for the extra photos - it looks a great system, with scope to develop it further (when time allows). Do you filter the water before it hits the IBC's?

The tomato supports are brilliant.

Eddie, I'm viewing this at work (yeah I know!) and can only see about 3 photo's, even then I'm in awe. Top quality and a lot of it. Your garden looks amazing too, are you really as organised as you look!

thanks for sharing,

Ade.

bexupnorth":27ch05uf said:
are you really as organised as you look!
Ade.

Only when it comes to things that interest me. :)

I have zero interest in anything that isn't practical, and see paper work/accounts etc as a pointless interruption to my life. If it wasn't for my quarterly VAT return, I would just have a pile of receipts to give the accountant at the end of the year.

When it comes to anything practical, I try and give it 100% but find fault in everything that I do. I've yet to stand back and be happy with anything that I have ever done. I've been close, but haven't got there yet.

Handsome work on the framing Eddie !
I gave my parents some 200L poly drums to harvest rainwater, they have usefull roof area but would struggle to fit an IBC near the house. I'll show them your setup for inspiration
Matt

What an inspirational post. I love the timber framing and the garden looks fantastic. I showed my wife and said look at this chaps great work. Her reply was " look what he has done in a year". Now I will have to try and up the workrate. I don't know how you do it.

Mike

Back