A Tribute

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Had some sad news today...hope you don't mind me typing a few words.
A few years back I'd fallen on hard times, struggling to pay the rent so I moved in with my Mum in a small town in the middle of bloody nowhere (top of the Pennines, to be vaguely precise). The local pub was a friendly enough place and I got chatting to one of the old fellas who'd be propping up the bar until closing time and beyond. He was a very skilled woodworker who'd set up his workshop there a couple of decades ago and plodded along doing small commissions for Fortnum and Masons etc making presentation boxes. I spent a few weeks working alongside him, probably cost him a few quid in mistakes and the time he spent patiently demonstrating techniques. I guess he enjoyed the company, I certainly did. We'd often work until 10pm then head to the pub for a few.
Anyway, old Bart passed away recently, but I'll be thinking of him next time I'm in the workshop I've set up since he showed me the ropes.
Here's to those who take the time to pass on their skills!

Nice tribute. I have tried to pass on my knowledge whenever i can and i think that is important. He is not forgotten.

I've kept one of the boxes I made with him - objectively, I'm not sure I've made anything much better since. I suppose one of the signs of a good teacher is that you try and raise your standards to match theirs.

My old Governor use to say, "don't thank me, thank my teacher". He retired when I was 16/17 and I served out my apprenticeship with many other good tradesmen of his era but he is the man I always think of as my teacher and I never forgot those words.
Special bonds with older men that gave you their time and knowledge gladly are a very special thing to have.

Nice thread.

sounds like you fell on your feet and was taken care of. It is always good to remember those who gave you a leg up for their selflessness.

It's nice that we have people to look back to, and remember what they taught us.

Kids nowadays only have Tim Berners-Lee to thank for everything they know.

Nice one cowfoot. I think there are any number of long established crafts folk who long for someone, who is interested, to pass knowledge onto. Good warm tribute.
xy

cowfoot":1u0p7tny said:
Had some sad news today...hope you don't mind me typing a few words.
A few years back I'd fallen on hard times, struggling to pay the rent so I moved in with my Mum in a small town in the middle of bloody nowhere (top of the Pennines, to be vaguely precise). The local pub was a friendly enough place and I got chatting to one of the old fellas who'd be propping up the bar until closing time and beyond. He was a very skilled woodworker who'd set up his workshop there a couple of decades ago and plodded along doing small commissions for Fortnum and Masons etc making presentation boxes. I spent a few weeks working alongside him, probably cost him a few quid in mistakes and the time he spent patiently demonstrating techniques. I guess he enjoyed the company, I certainly did. We'd often work until 10pm then head to the pub for a few.
Anyway, old Bart passed away recently, but I'll be thinking of him next time I'm in the workshop I've set up since he showed me the ropes.
Here's to those who take the time to pass on their skills!

I've got an image of you two turning up near closing time, covered in shavings and a bit of sawdust. The other regulars must have had a nickname for the pair of you! From hard times - what a fantastic friendship and memories. Shame you are so far away at the moment. I bet you wish you could be back in that pub to raise a pint your old friend.

All the best. I bet next time you drop a chisel or catch your knuckles, you'll mutter one of his old phrases.

Back