A tape or similar to cover something on mdf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedoublem

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any ultra strong tapes or something similar that are long lasting to be used to cover/hide something small attached to the underside of mdf wood?

I've got an 8cm small steel part which is only 4mm thick attached to mdf which is only noticeable if looking at a certain angle from the side. Because the item in question is a home decor piece for a mantle piece I wanted to hide it preferably with something that is black in colour to match the rest of the item. The item in question is very low value, so covering it may be the most viable option.

Any help appreciated.

Paint?

Pete
No it won't work as there are glue blobs and bits in places holding the steel clip down. It looks a little ugly but what I have made doesn't allow it to be constructed any other way. I just wanted to lay something over it to make it less of an eye saw if people did decide to pick up and see how it was constructed.

Its a very basic crafted art item so I don't think customers would be that worried but I prefer things to look reasonably well made and not too shabby if that makes sense.

In my experience duct tape looses its adhesion over time. The customer won't be too impressed if he sees a loose bit of tape hanging down in a few years time.
Could you make a cover of some sort and glue it on. Make a feature of it. Add a bit of humour into it so there's nice surprise when somebody deliberately looks underneath. You'd get a few extra brownie points for that. I know, I've done it.
Brian

Gorilla tape? It’s black and I’ve never seen it come off anything voluntarily. Just cut it nice or you can get loose threads that are white-ish..

Gorilla tape? It’s black and I’ve never seen it come off anything voluntarily. Just cut it nice or you can get loose threads that are white-ish..
Deffo gorilla tape.

Had some in my bike for years under the top tube I'd forgotten it was there still sticky as anything!!

How about a 3d printed cover in black? Maybe a member here might be able to make one for you?
I have to factor in the money involved. I think the end price of these items may be no more than £4.99 and I'd be looking at getting them made up fairly quickly. There is still some work to do in do much I have to paint them and also apply additional wood parts over the mdf and apply a transfer/decal.

To bring costs down I may look further down the line at buying a machine that can cut 3mm mdf shapes so I don't have to continue buying them from a supplier but at the moment the price I'm charged is fairly reasonable. I'm fairly new to working with wood. I've done minimal bits in past but wanted to go with my current idea as think it might sell fairly well. I'm more of a crafter and sculptor using the likes of gypsum. But I'm looking to learn a few basics where wood is concerned as the gypsum items I make take more time to do and are quite slow sellers.

Last edited:
Back