A suggestion for space-starved shops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
I got tired of having to shift things from one spot to another every time I needed some space for assembly or cleaning/repairing a machine, etc. So I looked around the shop and realized there was no way to put in any more bench space - or was there? I started looking vertical instead of horizontal!

What I came up with was a 2' X 2' piece of 1/2" ply hinged to the side of the workmate which holds my TS - so that it hangs straight down. Then I made a set of removable legs out of half a 2 X 4.

2wbxqop.jpg

Then I screwed two short lengths crossways underneath the sheet so that the crosspiece of the leg unit slots in.

334t746.jpg

Now, whenever I need a clear space to work on, I just flip up the top, put the legs underneath and off I go. And it doesn't fill up with stuff because it's out of the way unless I need it.

29ptdzn.jpg

Good idea, Foggy...

I have a fold-away router table of similar principle. Can is suggest that you put a couple of bits of stiffening under it, at right angles to the two pieces of 2x2? Ply will sag otherwise.

Mike

My own megre workshop is in the garage. This needs to be in use overnight and so my workbench is a flap attached to the garage wall with legs hinged underneath. The flap lifts up against the wall taking the legs with it.

There are advantages.
The workbench is clear every morning.
Where my tools are is within recent memory.
It is as stable as my pre-fab concrete garage.

xy

Mike Garnham":2uh39kbo said:
Good idea, Foggy...

I have a fold-away router table of similar principle. Can is suggest that you put a couple of bits of stiffening under it, at right angles to the two pieces of 2x2? Ply will sag otherwise.

Mike

Very good point. Will do that tomorrow. Thanx

I used to have a fold away bench in my first garageshop. Just a small point I would put the hinges on the face of the underside of the ply for strength. The problem with the srews in the edge is that all the weight of the saw and whatever you are cutting is taken by a couple of laminates by the length and width of your screws.

I think it's a smart idea; the kind of thing you could apply to several machines. :)

PAC1":1tjzju9y said:
I used to have a fold away bench in my first garageshop. Just a small point I would put the hinges on the face of the underside of the ply for strength. The problem with the srews in the edge is that all the weight of the saw and whatever you are cutting is taken by a couple of laminates by the length and width of your screws.

Another excellent point!

Back