A QSQ (Quick Sketchup Question...)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetWayne

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to size an existing box shape?

Ok, say I have a box (a width) x (a length) by (a height) and I want to move one of the sides so its now exactly 200 wide, how the best way to do that?

I know when you move an object or side you can type in on the numerical window at the bottom an offset - either + 100mm or - 100mm and it moves it relative to its starting position but is there any way to type a value that is a distance from an existing side (does this make sense?!) - I know you could drop in a ruler/ guide and make that the correct lenght and snap the side to that - but I wondered if I was missing something simpler?

Cheers
Wayne.

This is a good question.

If you know the current length of the side, obviously Push/Pull would be a fast way to do this assuming the adjacent side (end?) is flat You would use Move for that if it isn't flat.

If the side that gets moved via Push/Pull or Move can be referenced to some other geometry in the model, you can put the cursor on that geometry after you start the move. That will cause the moving end of the box to snap to the same distance.

Snapping out a guideline is quick, too.

If the entire box is to get scaled, you could measure the edge that is supposed to be 200mm using the Tape Measure tool. Click on both end points and then type 200 (add mm if you aren't already working in millimetres) and click on the affirmative answer to the resulting question. If you only want to resize that box, make it a component first. Then open the component for editing.

I think those are about it.

Latest posts

Back