A paring chisel with a special memory of Guinea!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco Flier

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year I spent 6 month's as a volunteer in Guinea, West-Africa. Although there was a lot of tension in the town where I stayed (Conakry) I managed it to visit a local woodcraft market where they sold typical African carvings out of beautifull woods. I asked if I could buy a piece of rough Ebony wood with the intention to make something nice out of it once back home. Fortunately, they had a nice peice of ebony in stock and I bought it. Once back home, it took a while to make something out of it, because I was a bit anxious to ruin the wood. But a few weeks ago I was making a set of new paring chisels for sale and I decided to make a handel for a paring chisel out of it. And to my opinion, it has worked out very well, see the pictures below. This is a very special chisel, and every time I pick it up I remeber that special time and place in Africa.

Attachments

• 100_4657A.jpg
    100_4657A.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 942
  • 100_4659A.jpg
    100_4659A.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 942
That's right. I bought it as Ebony, but later I did some research and I discovered that it is African blackwood indeed. ;-) Not that it matters to me, the story behind it remains the same.

Superb...African blackwood is stunning with the right treatment and the inclusion of the sapwood really sets it off!

I particularly like your design of handle and ferrule too...it glides into the sleek, thin metal of the paring chisel with utmost elegance.

A real gem and there is nothing like memories or fond affection to help guide your hands when you work with a tool you love.

Bravo!

Jimi

i just posted on the older thread. wow, that wood is really nice. IMHO african blackwood has the nicest sapwood of all. looks just awesome.

Very nice indeed,it just sort of looks comfortable to use =D> =D> =D> , a full set of handles like that would look great. Next time you go to Conakry take a spare suitcase for some more :wink:

I have some of Wilco's pairing chisels and would like to say that they are fantastic :)

I'm just waiting for my next few to be sent out when they are ready!

I would encourage anyone who was looking for really nice tools to consider Wilco as his prices are competitive and are custom made to your requirements (I ordered a bracing chisel and a draw knife and these were made to the specifications I wanted) :D

I will be ordering more from Wilco as he offers a great service and keeps you fully updated of the progress of the tools!

All the best
Dave

Back