A new arrival

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Well today the Wadkin turned up on the back of a pallatline lorry. After a fair bit of grunting we got it unloaded. Bigger than I thought it might be, weighs a ton, ( no really a ton ! ) Has a new blade in it, which is a bonus. the rise and fall column which the table sits on is rust free, ( thank the mythical deity ) . All the adjusters and hand wheels are stuck and the table has surface rust, no surprise there as its been outside for a while. But nothing major to put right. The shaft and bearings are 100% OK and spin free. The motor works fine, with two speed pulleys, but the contactor will need a bit of work as it will not pull in. The electro-magnet windings will need restoration. the side door is missing, but I have a nice thick sheet of steel to make one from. But if any one has a Wadkin badge to part with please let me know, one should be on the door. So cant wait to start the restoration, but will have to mothball and just soak it in oil and diesel for a time, as other work must take priority.

DSC01474_zps32dc4e73.jpg

DSC01473_zps39a35bcb.jpg

DSC01472_zps541cc9d6.jpg

DSC01471_zpsc9a04372.jpg

DSC01470_zpsd67f4ab8.jpg

DSC01467_zps90924647.jpg

DSC01469_zps45f57af8.jpg

DSC01468_zps6c2aa769.jpg

You want to have a word with Wallace, he'll have it sorted by the weekend for you

Mark

We have this exact model in good working condition at my employers workshop and it is definatley a good and finely tuned machine. So I think you will be pleased with the results after its restoration.

Very nice lump of iron their. Look forward to seeing it all done. How are you going to run it, I see its 5hp which is going to take quite a converter.

"You want to have award with Wallace, he'll have it sorted by the weekend for you"
I think I've got a couple of days spare to restore it :D I think that would take about 150hrs to make it all pretty

I have a 15 KVA three phase generator that runs all the three phase stuff. Came off ebay a few years ago. Was the standby for the Oval cricket ground, had done about 60 hours from new. it has a twin Lister engine and was made in the mid 1960's. I must say I'm very pleased with the saw, it looks a wonderful bit of kit, now all I have to do is wait until I have time to put to the restoration later in the year. Nearly impossible !!!!!!
Still cant find any info on it on the net except for a page on a 1937 Wadkin brochure, so don't know if mine is that old or if they made them up to the 50's or later.

Does the riving knife fall and rise with the blade? My machine didn't have one fitted so I made one up however it is fixed in place so requires adjustment when the blade height is changed. If yours does move with the blade I'd appreciate some pictures of the mechanism if you get chance at some point.

Thanks, Andy.

Hi Andy
On my SO the table moves up and down and the blade stays in the one position, the riving knife is bolted to the a bracket on the main body, so it stays with the blade as the table moves. I will get a Photo of this when I take her apart and post it for you.
Cheers

Back