A Little help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, I am just seeking a little help if I may please.

I have just purchased 4 new cross head fittings for the table rests at our small snooker club. The old ones have plastic feet fitted to them which are constantly being broken off. It crossed my mind to replace them with something more durable.

The old and new rest heads are of the screw-on type, both types are made of brass and fitted to wooden shanks that are threaded. When I ordered the new ones I automatically thought that the threads would be identical, they are in fact fairly close but not close enough and as such the heads will not tighten sufficiently. I imagine that the old rests are of considerable age and it is extremely unlikely that I would be able to get new heads that are a good fit.

With all of this in mind I have decided to insert a brass screw in order to make a firm fixing. What I am wondering is, would it be better to insert the screw into the end of the threaded wooden shank by drilling at the centre point of the cross head or, to insert it by drilling into the barrel section of the brass head and thus into the side of the threaded wooden shank. I have attached an image of the brass cross-head.

Alternatively, does anyone think that there is a better way to do the job.

Thank you for your consideration and any input.

Attachments

• Rest ends.jpg
    Rest ends.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 0
Epoxy glue or if using a screw then drill through the barrel, if you go through the top then it may simply rotate around the screw.

Any wonk or wiggle in the rest will be annoying to anyone using them, I’d go epoxy, I can’t see a screw to stand up to use especially if the feet are getting knocked off at the moment

Latest posts

Back