A Lathe for the seated turner.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TEP":2ql0urtc said:
Puts my stuff to shame! :oops:

I do not think so Tam, the work highlighted is indeed impressive for skill level and design concept but if you place it in the environment of the USA where these people have managed to develope these skills and a reasonable income along the way due to the accepted market pricing for such objects it becomes more of a realistic achievement.

I doubt that many here in the UK could spend 3-4 weeks minimum on a piece and have a realistic expectation of covering their costs let alone make an income out of the subject.

Having browsed the forums where some of the this work originates it is not unusual to see the expenditure on shop equipment and facilities running into the price of a new car. Not always from people doing it for a living but certainly from people who have a lot more disposable income to enable the development of skills and education.

Having said the above, I would be very proud to achieve the level of skill to do such work but am realistically content to do what I do as a means of relaxing and enjoyment.

I used to help out doing some polishing when the woodwork was slack,and we used to stand up all day polishing.
Then when another company took us over their polishers used to sit down,polishing.
We tried it and it was o.k for certain jobs,but you seemed more restricted in moving your body the way you could when standing up.
After a while my back and hips would start to ache,so much so by the end of the week i'd be in agony.Plus i found that you got too relaxed,meaning when polishing 9 time out of ten the item would fly down the chute but wood turning 9 times out of ten the object comes towards you.
So i think i would still prefer to stand up:roll:
Paul.J.

Your probably right Chas, but I wouldn't mind getting my grubby little mitts on some of that exotic timber they are using. =P~

Back