A handtool epiphany – all thanks to Norm Abram

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_hanna

Established Member
Reaction score
A handtool epiphany – all thanks to Norm Abram
I don’t want to start yet another sharpening debate but my woodworking experience took such a turn for the better recently that I felt I should write it up in case it helps others at a similar stage in their hobby.

Although I’ve been woodworking for a number of years I have limited time to devote to it and would consider myself a novice in many ways.
I‘ve always felt that my sharpening left a lot to be desired. I’ve read lots online about sharpening, bought books on the subject and have tried various oilstones, diamond stones, scary sharp with wet and dry paper and used a number of different types of honing guides. I could get an acceptable edge but the process was slow and I found myself using tools which I knew needed attention but with my limited shop time I would have spent more time sharpening than being productive. I always found myself putting off sharpening until next time.

My revelation came when I saw an episode of NYW where Norm was building a sharpening cart. At the start of the programme he showed the process of quickly taking a damaged chisel to a razor sharp edge with a wetstone sharpener with a wet grindstone combined with a leather honing wheel.
I was hooked, negotiations with the wife for an early Christmas present bought me the Jet JSSG-10 unit from Axminster. I couldn’t be more pleased.

A wetstone sharpener may seem expensive but it changed my woodworking experience immeasurably, all my tools are sharp now and the ease and speed of using the Jet means they stay sharp. It’s a joy now to use any of my planes and chisels.

I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

It's only since Norm appeared on Freeview channel Quest that I have seen more than the odd episode and as I sit there mentally adding up the cost of all his power tools, I have yet to see him use any hand tools at all.

AndyT":1evtgim9 said:
I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

It's only since Norm appeared on Freeview channel Quest that I have seen more than the odd episode and as I sit there mentally adding up the cost of all his power tools, I have yet to see him use any hand tools at all.

He always wears his toolbelt though....just in case! He slated UK tradesmen for not wearing one!

LOL at the moment I am well under way building a 3 legged cricket table from redwood, just using a few hand tools (dividers, square, axe, scrub plane, jack plane, jointer plane, tenon saw, mortice chisel) something I wanted to do for a long while but kept putting it off, presuming that the setting out of the rod and the joints would be mega difficult, I thought how would you get the cross section, bearing in mind the splay of the legs can vary from 90 degree verical on some examples to 70 or 75 on others...Does the section change and how do you calulate it? The irony was that it was Norm themachine man who demystified the whole thing on one of his videos where he built a cricket table (from oak). He explained clearly that the cross section stays exactly the same (a kite shape, 60/90/120/90 at each of the arrises) no matter what angle the legs are splayed at. The aprons and rails will still always fit in with squared shoulders as on regular square work.
I did used to watch Yankee Workshop at one time, but not now. Still, credit to Norm for enlightening me in a totally unexpected fashion... 8)
Oh and Andy, I DO recall seeing him use a HAND TOOL, once-just once I think it was a tenon saw to trim some fiddly detail or other :D

Latest posts

Back