A free standing decorative piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit Darren. When I browsed your website I did identify a lot of similarities with other turner's work. It wasn't clear earlier that you'd actually spent time with Nick Agar. So his work has obviously rubbed off on you. That's fine, that's what he was teaching you.

I think what Phil is saying is that now you've achieved the skills to closely replicate the work of others, it's time to think about your work and how to make it your own. If nothing else, the last thing you want is to upset a turner in some way that could have an effect on your career.

Lee, if you don't care about creativity, what is it you focus your work on? (Genuinely interested).

Hi Tom,

For me, my work is more of a cathartic experience. What I mean by that is a lot of what I do is driven directly by how I feel more than a sense of what I want to create. You've seen it a lot with my work, a real swings and rundabout approach, that can go from one extreme to the other, most of it rubbish but the odd piece is quite good.

I also posted ages ago about how I never really have any idea of what I want to do. I like this free flowing approach but the risk is obviously in turning out a lot of rubbish. But that's what I like to do, I hate getting bogged down in the whole idea of creativity, maybe I'm hoping to get a lot of this out of my system with my current approach. I would like to hope that with enough time and effort that I will be surprised by a style that develops rather than being in charge of it.

For me, the workshop is one of the few places I have a clear mind, and god knows my mind has troubled me a lot in the past and occasionaly still does, so having a free mind in the workshop means it's pretty stress free but I have limted control of what is created. I think this was misinterpreted before, I'm aware of the tools, the lathe etc. in a safe way but I am driven by what feels right 'at the time'. And this can aslo change with each cut too.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it. It keeps me peaceful for the moment which is a good thing.

Cheers,

Lee.

Furry Muff. But when you look at your work, don't you form an opinion of it? Don't you consider what you could have done different? That's creativity, in my mind. Creativity is not something you can do, it's something you are. It's the result of constantly analysing your work.

Thank you Philip for explaining your earlier response, and I guess, depending on what i want out of turning in the future, will dictate how my turning develops.
Wizer, ermm I watched Nick Agar doing two 1hr 45min demo's, hardly spending time with him, yes some of my earlier pieces will resemble other turners work, as i guess that is how we learn, so im sure we all have pieces that resemble someone elses work.
Like your attitude Skeetoids, I too am full of s**t and proud of it, thankfully it seems that turners are generally a decent bunch, all have opinions and views, and willing to express them, unlike some other artistic disceplines, with their heads so far up their own a***s they get skid marks on their collars!!
Darren

Only a Bad impression George?.... you must have caught him on a good day :mrgreen:

I recently got caught up in all of this plagiarism debate Darren and i went round and round in circles for weeks over it- I spoke with allot of different turners both here and in the u.s and eventually came to the conclusion that some repetition of other peoples work who you admire is inevitable and by doing so you will eventually find your little corner of the huge woodturning world.

I think you are absolutely right George we all start by copying others work then move onto doing our own thing.
But no matter what you do the finger can always be pointed at somebodies work and say you are copying because at the end of the day it has all been done before.
As long as you dont do exact copies and try to pass them of as originals i cannot see as there is any harm done.
Also there is the saying that imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Regards George

I disagree slightly George- there are still original idea's but to find them you have to involve other media or very complex carving cutting etc- i certainly agree that there are no original idea's in the worlds of simple pure form's which is where my main intrest lie's as there have always been sherical objects in all media dating back 1000's of years.

I had an idea a couple of months back for a turning that I hadn't seen before but I'm slow at getting round to implementing my ideas and never took it further (although I'm still wondering about the best way to do it). It was to take a book, impregnate it with glue (somehow, and not sure what sort) and then turn a bowl in the paper. I'm not sure where I got the idea and don't recall seeing it done anywhere.
A couple of days ago someone posted a turning using this medium on the WOW site and several people commented that they'd also thought of doing the same. It may well have been done before but I can't remember seeing a finished piece or seeing it discussed (I do have an awful memory though).

Have we (myself and the others on WOW) all seen another piece using this method and just can't remember? Have we all seen it suggested somewhere before? Have we all taken inspiration from the same source even if it wasn't implemented like this? Should I now not produce items like this and post the idea as my own?

Unless I document everything that I see and every woodturning forum post and book/article that I read I can never be sure that what I'm doing is original. I often take inspiration from things that I see whilst out and about in nature, walking round town, in shops etc... An idea I have may be sparked by something random that I saw days, weeks, months ago but unless I document everything that I see (hmmm, maybe a video camera strapped to the side of my head recording everything I look at :) ) than I can never be sure if my ideas are original or not.

Not that this helps with what to d - just thoughts...

We are all influenced by everything that we experience every moment of every day. This is what our senses – sight, sound, touch and smell are geared to respond to. These senses are part of our survival mechanism and our way of making sense of the world around us. We interpret what is gathered by our senses and make decisions based on the stimulus provided. We all do this in a very unique and personal way.

There is absolutely no issue or problem, in my view, in saying, “I was influenced by” or ”taught by” or used this or that as reference for a piece of work.

If the object being produced or shown looks exactly the same as or very similar to a well known or established artist or craftsman’s work/style or the original reference then this is plagiarism. The piece can be said to intend to be a close resemblance to the other’s work in order to express ”I have learned and have identical skills to the original maker had therefore my work should be considered in the same light” - as creative and skillful. But – the turning skill has been acquired through teaching and practice, the ideas and techniques being copied to make the piece appear unique could be described as someone else’s research and application – the ’creative or uniqueness’ part of the original work.

Originality or creativity tends to come from observation and analysis of the things or objects or sights that excite or stimulate and coupling this with the ability, knowledge or skill to interpret this information in a unique way. Most of this can be learned just as turning skills are.

By all means do copies as a way of learning or discovering skills or techniques but no-one has the right to place copies or close resemblances in the public domain and claim this as their own work. Individuals using this methodology may well impress other turners who hold the same views but that’s about it.

Phil

Interesting topic.

I've been involved with design based stuff all my life. As 'original' as I like to think I can be, its just not possible. Unless, of course you wish to be totally outlandish to a degree that everyone else will hate it. That too is an unoriginal approach - sorry, its been done.

Anyway, I saw those nice acrylic boxes by Cornucopia and thought I'd have a go - in wood though. Didn't think he'd mind (although he would never know). Once I saw the direction mine was headed, I decided to stop as my mind seemed to have taken a path of its own. Can't imagine what I was thinking of. The wife says she knows and maybe I should do a pair!.

So, yes I know all about the tool marks and the rough patches and the splashes but I don't think I will bother finishing this!
100_1167.JPG

Attachments

• 100_1167.JPG
    100_1167.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 100_1165.JPG
    100_1165.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 370

Latest posts

Back