A fledgling workshop...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I downloaded sketchup make2016, went to the site and clicked download and then it opened up sketchup but all I see is the finished article. I have materials, components and entity info down the right hand side and I can move the picture around but cant seem to see the breakdown of the pieces etc.

Hi Technium,

The structure of the workbench is loosely based on the Kreg Workbench plan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FOx3bTo3G4).

It's a fairly straight forward plan so i didn't follow it really...just made it up as i went along.

The frame is jointed using pocket hole screws, and the top is a layer of 18mm MDF attached using pocket hole screws, and then with another layer glued on top. I attached a band of pine around the edge to make it prettier and also protect the edges of the MDF.

The lower shelf is one piece of MDF with the corners cut out using a jigsaw.

The height of the bench is 90mm - i did a bit of research into the ideal height and also measured the height of our kitchen units as i felt it was comfortable working on the kitchen surface. The width and length of the bench are based on the size of the MDF panels available in BnQ...i could get the pieces cut at the store from one big piece. I'd base it on the space you have available.

I attached various accessories to the bench too...before i had my workshop i discovered Kreg tools and ended up getting a bit carried away with the various attachments...but they've proven useful. I also got a woodworking vice and attached that...my only regret is not getting a quick release one, but it's not that much of a problem really.

focusonwood":17bnisoa said:
Hi Technium,

The structure of the workbench is loosely based on the Kreg Workbench plan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FOx3bTo3G4).

It's a fairly straight forward plan so i didn't follow it really...just made it up as i went along.

The frame is jointed using pocket hole screws, and the top is a layer of 18mm MDF attached using pocket hole screws, and then with another layer glued on top. I attached a band of pine around the edge to make it prettier and also protect the edges of the MDF.

The lower shelf is one piece of MDF with the corners cut out using a jigsaw.

The height of the bench is 90mm - i did a bit of research into the ideal height and also measured the height of our kitchen units as i felt it was comfortable working on the kitchen surface. The width and length of the bench are based on the size of the MDF panels available in BnQ...i could get the pieces cut at the store from one big piece. I'd base it on the space you have available.

I attached various accessories to the bench too...before i had my workshop i discovered Kreg tools and ended up getting a bit carried away with the various attachments...but they've proven useful. I also got a woodworking vice and attached that...my only regret is not getting a quick release one, but it's not that much of a problem really.

Thanks mate thats a great help. Once I get the ground done and workshop built I can perhaps join in more with all this. thanks for your update.

You're welcome...if you have any questions when you're building your workbench just drop me a message. I'm new to woodworking myself, but pleased you'd like to copy my workbench.

@Stanleymonkey,

I've made fairly good progress in the workshop.

One thing I need to work on is dust extraction...i use a cheap wet and dry shop vac and it's not particularly effective.

I'm thinking of installing a decent extractor so that i don't have to wheel about the pesky shop vac - it gets in the way.

In the meantime i bought a air filter and have fitted that up in the roof cavity...that's definitely making the air cleaner.

My day job is very busy at the moment (a lot of weekend work) so not finding much time to get in the workshop...something i need to work on!

Thanks for your interest.

Sounds like you're making progress. Shame work is getting in the way :(

When I don't have enough time I sometimes just head down to the shed with a mug of tea and tidy up. It's good for the brain to get some time on your hobbies. Even if it's just over-the-top marking out for your next project and leaving it lying there ready to start on!!

Take it easy.

Martin

Good work focusonwood, (hammer) I'd say it's 16x8 if the garage was built in the 30s. I think they were that size cause cars in those days were tiny, so nowadays they make great workshops. Leave the car on the drive to dry off. :wink:

Yes, 16x8 sounds about right...cars must have been tiny in the 30s.

I've been working most of this weekend, but I should find time to out to the workshop this afternoon.

Back