A fledgling workshop...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focusonwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I realise there are a few of these threads, but I like reading them so maybe someone will enjoy reading mine!

I used to tinker in our garage when I was a boy and I always wanted my own workshop and to start making stuff out of wood. Now that I own a house with a garage I've finally got the opportunity.

After exchanging a year ago we started the long process of renovating our new home, we had a builder in to do remove walls etc, but the decorating was done by my wife and I. That's all finished (kind of) and after moving in a few months ago I started turning the single garage into a woodworking workshop for me...the garage was a little run down so needed a bit of TLC.

After replacing the window, blocking in a side door and replacing a few roof tiles, I ripped out the ancient and rotten kitchen cabinets and old workbenches. Once everything was removed I painted the walls and floor - I hoped this would help prevent dust, brighten up the place, and also make it look a lot nicer.

This is the result;

empty_workshop.jpg

You might notice that it needs rewiring...I'm leaving this for a while until I get familiar with how I use the space. I'm new to woodworking so not sure how it should be laid out.

Attachments

• empty_workshop.jpg
    empty_workshop.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 3,505
Thanks John.

The first project was a new workbench...

While looking at different projects online I discovered Kreg jigs and thought this would be ideal for a lot of the workshop projects I had in mind, I bought one and used it to build the workbench...this is the result;

workbench.jpg

The structure is based on the Kreg workbench plan, but the dimensions are not. The top made from MDF and is 1500mm x 600mm x 18mm, I chose this dimension as I could get all pieces cut from one panel at B&Q - the top consists of two pieces glued together and is edged with pine banding.

I may have got carried away with various Kreg clamps and tracks, but hopefully the additions will make the bench a little more multifunctional.

Here's some detail;

Main wood vice;

workbench_vice.jpg

Clamp track and Kreg bench vice;

workbench_kregtrack.jpg

I had some MDF left over so mounted my Kreg Jig to that as it's a little difficult to clamp to a worktop without it;

workbench_kregjig.jpg

Attachments

• workbench.jpg
    workbench.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 3,489
  • workbench_vice.jpg
    workbench_vice.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 3,489
  • workbench_kregtrack.jpg
    workbench_kregtrack.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 3,489
  • workbench_kregjig.jpg
    workbench_kregjig.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 3,489
That clamp looks interesting, never seen one like that before.

With regards to the wiring, a rule of thumb is to figure out how many sockets you think you need... then double it!

Good luck with the new workshop ;)

DTR":1etmoom4 said:
That clamp looks interesting, never seen one like that before.

With regards to the wiring, a rule of thumb is to figure out how many sockets you think you need... then double it!

Good luck with the new workshop ;)

I've always fancied a dado rail made of sockets all round the workshop.

Regarding sockets, I nearly always choose doubles. They are obviously twice as useful as singles and are easier to wire in because of the extra space behind. In my workshop I have about 9 doubles and 3 singles. And I still have trailing leads so I am going to fit some more.

K

If you install a dado rail, a good trick is to fold over the cables inside the duct (in a flattened Z shape) so that there is enough spare cable in the ring to add new sockets with new cutouts anywhere you want in the future. Then you don't need to over-budget at first. Your workshop with flat walls lends itself to this. You can either make the dado out of wood, or they can be bought. Above bench height, of course.

Keith

Do I see a bike wheel in one shot?
Make a hard rule that nothing goes into the workshop that's not woodwork related otherwise it will soon end up a place you could do woodwork if it wasn't so full :(

Yeah...that's a bike.

There's also a huge 'builder's bag' full of firewood! I spent the weekend just gone making a firewood store...that's almost finished so this Saturday I'll get the firewood out. Then I need to knock up some shelves for the shed at the bottom of the garden, that'll make some space for the bike in the shed!

Everything I'm making so far is 'rustic' - I think I need a small project to make something a little finer.

As per my post on the 'last thing I made' thread...I've finished the wood store and got the firewood out of my workshop (it's no longer referred to as a 'garage'). Also, the bike is now secure in the garage...yay!

The next thing to sort out is insulating the roof...as you can see from my first pic it's just rafters then tiles. I'm planning to get some cheap poly insulation to fit between the rafters then pin 9mm OSB boards over the top. I'll get started on that this weekend.

Another major job is replacing the old side hung garage doors...they're rotten and falling apart. I was thinking of making some, but I need to build some skills before I attempt that, and given the state they're in I think I'll pay someone to fit them. I'm probably going to go for metal side hung doors, and then insulate in as per the roof on the inside.

If the current doors weren't in such a state I'd leave them and make a door next year...I've decided I need to get them done before winter sets in properly.

Looks a good space, good advice about not allowing other things to accumulate in it if possible.

Without meaning to teach you to suck eggs, when you insulate your roof, don't forget to allow an air gap to help it to breathe which may mean being careful with the insulation at the eaves so as not to block off air movement.

Thanks for the advice griggs.

I haven't insulated a roof before, so any advice is welcome.

The rafters are around 50mm deep and I'm planning to use 25mm poly insulation panels pinned in place...so there should roughly be a 25mm cavity between the insulation and the tiles.

So...as planned I stuffed a load of poly insulation between the rafters and pinned OSB boards over it.

The roof was a little 'wonky' so fitting the OSB panels was a bit tricky, and the result isn't pretty. Given the garage was built as some point between 1934 and 1945, I can forgive it for settling a little over the years.

But it meant I got to break in my new table saw which was nice.

The result below was after I had thoroughly cleaned up all the dust and polystyrene snow.

workshop_ceiling.JPG

The next job is to build a mobile stand for the mitre saw...

Attachments

• workshop_ceiling.JPG
    workshop_ceiling.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 2,575
Amazing space you have there. Kitting out my shed at the moment and I get what you mean about figuring out how you will actually work.

I made some simple tool boards on the wall and they eat up the tools and cleared a lot of space. Great if you forget where everything is as much as I do!

Keep posting it's good to see how you are getting on.

Martin

Like your workbench, did you make that from a plan as I need to make a bench myself.

Can anyone recomment a good source for free plans of woodwork projects?

thanks

you will find loads in the sketchup warehouse and most have dimensions etc and can be exploded to see how they are put together

Droogs":wuzlzzjq said:
you will find loads in the sketchup warehouse and most have dimensions etc and can be exploded to see how they are put together

Thanks ive just done a quick search on google to find the warehouse but am I right in thining theyre just 1 page pictures with the measurements on? No instructions or am I looking at them wrong?

thanks

the image you see is a thumbnail of the project folder. download the project from within sketchup and then yu can open it up and see the full thing. If you don't have sketchup installed it is available for free download and personal use. It is a 3d drawing program. When installing it you can specifically set it up for woodworking and has plenty of free addons that allow you to create cut lists etc

Latest posts

Back