• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

A dilemma 8" grinder vs 2x72" Belt grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

adrspach

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. i am fed up with my 6" grinder stalling on me whenever I need to grind anything harder on it as well as after trying not being able to get rid of vibrations.
I am having the dilemma about what to get 8" bench grinder or the belt grinder.
I am grinding all sorts of stuff from wood shaping to tool steel.
I do understand that belt grinder is very expensive to purchase but as i do work from a small garage I do not want to have too many tools and machines there.
Can you advise preferably with recommendations of a machine as well.
Thnk you

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I hope you're not grinding wood with regular bench grinder wheels.

Those 2x72" grinders look like a very versatile piece of equipment and would probably trump an 8" bench grinder for most tasks.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an 8" bench grinder and also a 2" belt linisher - not the 72" you're looking at, just a Sorby EdgePro which is designed primarily for sharpening woodworking blades. The Sorby gets used for all sorts of things apart from its primary use - grinding metalworking lathe tools, sharpening kitchen knives, sanding small wooden parts etc. A 72" would be even more versatile. The 8" wheel grinder hasn't had much use since I got the Sorby - for some things (roughing out HSS lathe tools for example) it's pretty good, but if I could have only one, I'd go for the belt grinder without hesitation.
Bob.

adrspach

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. Time for me to find some decent machines to find price and start saving.
Any recommendations for make of the 2x72" belt grinder?

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
I believe 2x72 is more of a US standard belt size, not so much over here. I couldn't tell you what it is here but i know there are large belts more industry standard. Can't help with names as they're way way out of my price range.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
There is a Facebook group on homemade belt grinders. There are some in Europe that sell parts or whole machines. It would be a good starting point for your search.

Pete

Rorschach

Agent Provocateur
Reaction score
A belt sander is much more versatile than a grinder but has some drawbacks.

It is more expensive. It is less suited to sharpening. It takes up more space. It uses more power.

When shopping for a belt grinder get one that has plenty of adjustability so you can use several sizes of belt, get one that has different fittings such as a flat platten and contact wheel, get one that has variable speed including reverse running for sharpening.